Classic Raleigh ??? Identification

Re:

It's off!!!!

Stronglight BB too. It sounds really rough even though its totally cleaned up now. What would you guys do with it? Would you just replace the bearings with new, or replace the whole lot for a sealed BB?

Sorry for all the silly questions but this is all very new to me. :oops:

Here are some pics......

Attachments

• _1018910.JPG
    _1018910.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 224
  • _1018911.JPG
    _1018911.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 224
  • _1018914.JPG
    _1018914.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 224
  • _1018917.JPG
    _1018917.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 224
  • _1018920.JPG
    _1018920.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 224
  • _1018929.JPG
    _1018929.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 224
  • _1018931.JPG
    _1018931.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 224
It depends on what chainset you are going to run ...........those Ofmega BB cups look like alloy with pressed in steel bearings, if so an expensive item in it's day :)

Shaun

Re:

At last, the frame is now totally stripped of all components. I only have an hour on an evening after work to play with, it's taking some time :(

Please could someone offer some advice about stripping the paint and painting? I guess this has been covered a hundred time before here, so if anyone knows a good place to look that'd be brill :D

My take on the subject . . . . .

* Nitromors over the whole frame
* Scrape away paint
* Reapply Nitromors again
* Scrape away paint.
After this I'm not sure, maybe wire brush the rest of the paint off?
* Sand down through the paper grades until totally smooth (400 grit or higher?).
This is where I get stuck again. I read on the Net somewhere that you need to carry out a Hydrochloric Acid was??? What is this for? I work in the chemical industry so not afraid of working with nasty chemicals, but Acid wash? Is this just to inhibit rust before priming takes place?
* Degrease
* High build primer - flatten out any imperfections.
* Top coats
* Transfers on
* Lacquer coats

What is the best type of paint to use. Cellulose, Enamel etc?

Cheers,
Geoff.

Personally I've not been down the route of stripping the paint, and then re-painting (yet)

But, I believe that powder coating is the way to go, and a decent powder coater will bead/sand blast the frame first

Just googled for ones in your area, and this was the top hit:

http://www.powdercoatinguk.com/Multicoat.html

Guess a phone call to them will put you in the picture in terms of cost

However, you could strip, undercoat and 'rattle can' the bike yourself, but these type of finishes are 'normally' quite brittle, and you may end up regretting it

Re:

My Niece works for a powder coating company but I didn't know if this was suitable for a bike finish.

I guess it must be though, plenty of everyday items sport a powder coated finish. :LOL:

I have a compressor and spray guns should I go down the paint route. Would that make the finish any more durable?

Thanks,
Geoff

Re:

You can't argue with that :LOL:

I might ask my niece for a quote, hopefully I'll get at least mates rates!

What about the decals, would I apply them to the freshly powder coated frame and then lacquer over the whole frame?

Cheers,
Geoff.

Yes, that would be the 'norm' on high end frames

'Low end' ones just had decals applied over the top (which are more like stickers than decals)

Personally I'd have the frame finished by someone else and stick to the mechanics........here's my attempts to strip a frame with nitromors..

2qimg3l.jpg

Not very productive. I'm sure it's not what it used to be 30 plus years ago :(

Shaun

The last frame I stripped with Nitromors was some 30 years ago...

From what I've heard/read it's had a 'key' ingredient removed in the years since, and is nigh on useless these days!

Bring on the bead blasting I say! :)

Back