Cheapest way to get a bike posted from the USA?

Thanks for all the positive messages, I have sent a message to the seller telling him the information you guys have given me, I hope he uses it otherwise it's not viable to buy the bike.

Cheapest of the reliable options is USPS. Someone has already stated max box size but it is on their site also. And again, as someone has already stated, it will have to be in two boxes as the max size is a frame box, not a bike box.
If the sellers not sure, ask them to take it to a bike shop and they will help.

Mark. :D

Re:

I've always used Fedex and it's never cost more than £200. You've got to get the weight and dimensions spot on minus a few cms and lbs to get the best rate ;-)

dyna-ti":9byrhkol said:
Probably cheaper to buy it a 2nd class ticket and have it sat on the seat beside you :LOL: :LOL:

Funny you mentioned that.

I was visiting friends in the states but had a purchase delivered to theirs and apart from the pedals off, seat & post out, and bars off but still connected, it all fitted into a standard bike box and B.A. charged me £25 to fly it back with me.

I have had other bikes shipped over and USPS with 1 box for the wheels and 1 box for the bike has always been below $200

Re:

Just checked the rate for a USPS package with a max length of 60 inches and girth of 108 inches from the US to The Netherlands. 6-10 days delivery time. About $65.
But that's a online calculation.

mtbdave":3a0tfarj said:
Hi everyone,

I am looking at getting a full bike sent from the USA, the seller has quoted me $700 postage, with the bike boxed at a local bike shop.

Wondered if anyone has any advice as if I have to pay this much then the bike and postage will be around £1000 in total.

Thanks in advance.

I've had well over a dozen bmx's sent over and they've all been usps using the standard international service as this was the cheapest. Obviously a mtb will be a larger box.

But also take in to account the customs etc that you'll get hit with. You'll also get charged by parcelforce to have it delivered even though you've already paid postage. Think it was around a tenner the last time I had one.

Re:

Agreed with most of the above posters. USPS is by far the least expensive you'll find. Having shipped a few bikes over seas US Postal Service (USPS) is about $80 a box to UK/German/Belgium. Measured girth can be no more than 108" Full bike = 2 boxes. Large frames can be a pain.

I just had 2 complete bikes shipped from Vancouver to Ontario, $150 for BOTH. Key is to get the box down to a non-oversized dimension. Canada post has a max of 118 inches combined, so 46"x27"x9" was ok. And that box can be up to 60lbs before it is an overweight parcel. It takes a bit more work but if the seller isnt willing to do that you're SOL. Shamobius went the extra mile for me and he had no real problems.

Back