Chas Roberts Dogsbolx frame

Just because the burning point of paint is well below the temp required to soften steel doesnt mean the flame used to burn the paint wasn't well above the required temp to do so...Its not hard to over heat and soften that metal especially in the thin areas like the seat tube.

Well I think the master frame builder, Lee Cooper who did the work would probably be aware of the risks, dont you?

Heating seat tubes to remove stuck seatposts has been done for aeons. Some amateurs may much it up. But fortunately I didn’t choose one to do this work.

Matt
I would buy this, re-spray it and use it as a commuter.
Its a 30 year old bike so will probably not be mint under the paint, but then, what frame will be?
These should be used.
Unfortunately i’ve got no cash at the moment (having to sell some surplus bits myself) but otherwise would have bid/made an offer on it

Guys

Matt and I chatted about the frame over pm a few weeks ago, and I then reached out to probably the best qualified person around to opine on it (sight unseen).

Geoff Roberts told me that the temperature required to melt out an alloy S/post is not going to bother this frame and that he was unconcerned. He quoted me £300 to inspect the frame for trueness etc plus a full repaint / decal in classic DB black and white.

Matt feels this is a 19” frame, which is bigger than I would ideally like, but had it have been 18”, we would have hammered out a price and the deal would be done. Frankly I’m still half thinking about it.

We have all read and participated in the various prior debates on this frame. I’m not sure there is anything new to add here. Buy it or don’t buy it. Accept that it will need painted and accept the cost for that. Get GR to do the work for some added peace of mind and to rid the frame of the bad juju that has developed around it. Or don’t. But there’s no point continuing to be critical about it. Matt has been as clear as he can be.

Hi All,

I’ve just amended the listing slightly as someone who knows more than me has informed me that due to the frame number snd tapered seat tube top, it’s a 1993 vintage, not 1992.

I paid £400 for the frame and £35 for the seatpost to be removed. Postage at £15 brings it to £450.

I’ve had quite a few offers at £400 but I’m holding out because I’m stubborn!

But seriously, if you want to meet me in the middle at £425 posted through RB I’ll probably go for that.

I’ll also uphold my commitment to a potential eBay buyer that if you buy it, crash it and the frame fails due to corrosion that is not visible on the outside, then I’ll work with you to rectify the situation. I don’t know what the remedy would be but I’d hope that we’d be able to talk about it and come to some sensible agreement.

Cheers, Matt

Hi All,

I’ve just amended the listing slightly as someone who knows more than me has informed me that due to the frame number snd tapered seat tube top, it’s a 1993 vintage, not 1992.

I paid £400 for the frame and £35 for the seatpost to be removed. Postage at £15 brings it to £450.

I’ve had quite a few offers at £400 but I’m holding out because I’m stubborn!

But seriously, if you want to meet me in the middle at £425 posted through RB I’ll probably go for that.

I’ll also uphold my commitment to a potential eBay buyer that if you buy it, crash it and the frame fails due to corrosion that is not visible on the outside, then I’ll work with you to rectify the situation. I don’t know what the remedy would be but I’d hope that we’d be able to talk about it and come to some sensible agreement.

Cheers, Matt
Go on then Matt, I’ll have it at £425. Pm me your payment address & we’ll get this done 👍

Back