1991 Chas Roberts (Unidentified)

Glad it stripped down well. You may never know what the model actually was. The Roughstuff usually has downtube cable mounts, and compact geometry but having said that I bet you can find many that don’t have either. Here’s mine… still only partially built!

Attachments

• 2279C9FD-1300-4A96-90D9-92B9640A082A.jpeg
    2279C9FD-1300-4A96-90D9-92B9640A082A.jpeg
    993.6 KB · Views: 51
Glad it stripped down well. You may never know what the model actually was. The Roughstuff usually has downtube cable mounts, and compact geometry but having said that I bet you can find many that don’t have either. Here’s mine… still only partially built!
That's lovely, I notice it has more eyelets on the inside of the seat stays and midfork, lot's of options there for touring/bikepacking kit. Get it built!!!

Mine has cable stops right on the join between headtube and downtube, not sure if that means owt though.

I like that, I am tempted to tweak my White Spider for road/gravel.

I looked at buying a ruffstuff a while back as there are some big frames out there and they are beautifully made, the problem was getting tyres with any kinda thread that fitted. They were built for max 1.75 with possibly a bit of room.

1.95 was deffo too tight to go in, so as a off road tool it was a no go. But i can see as a all road tourer ( for what it was designed) perfect.

Enjoy.

I looked at buying a ruffstuff a while back as there are some big frames out there and they are beautifully made, the problem was getting tyres with any kinda thread that fitted. They were built for max 1.75 with possibly a bit of room.

1.95 was deffo too tight to go in, so as a off road tool it was a no go. But i can see as a all road tourer ( for what it was designed) perfect.

Enjoy.
This will take 1.95's, and probably anything up to 2.3's, but it's tight at the front and leaves no room for a mudguard with anything bigger than 1.5.
If this is a Roughstuff then it might be a case of the original owner having very specific requirements, it's possible these straight forks (with eyelets only on the back side) were selected over the normal narrow crowned multi eyelet forks that appear in pretty much every pic of a Roughstuff and Black Leopard that I could find. These forks are exactly the same as I had on my White Spider (except for the eye;lets), so I'm thinking he was looking for something more capable off road than the standard Roughstuff and probably asked for the straight forks with eyelets, plenty of room at the back for.
Of course that's all pure conjecture lol.

Headset has cleaned up beautifully, my first campy HS and this will be staying on the bike. Such beautiful engineering. P5140062.JPG P5140059.JPG

Thats looking good.

That's not a bad weight for an off road frame and fork in anybody's book.

Keep up the good work, its going to look super.

Along with the headset the rear cassette is the only original component that's going to remain. It's a 24t-11t and I think it'll pair well with my Middleburn RS2 44t-32t chainset.

It cleaned up quite nicely and shows minimal wear and tear, only some light marks remain from the baked on grime. I will have another go at them to try and get them spotless.
P5290181.JPG P5290190.JPG P5290188.JPG

And the brakes are ready too...
P5290195.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice frameset.

Love this era of Roberts.

Was the downtube decal there or did you add it?

Looks like you have a nice clean build planned to let the frameset shine, as it should do!

Latest posts

Back