Chainring questions

setspeed

Retro Guru
Has anyone ever used a StrongLight chainring as a replacement for a Shimano one?
My Deore MT60 middle ring is absolutely knackered (new chain slips) and I'm having difficulty in quickly sourcing a suitable Shimano replacement.
I was wondering if this would work as a stopgap - not sure if StrongLight rings have the necessary ramps and pins needed to shift up & down to the other rings or not? It doesn't appear from the photo that they have any flatter teeth that Shimano rings have either. Finally, will this 9/10 speed ring actually work ok with my 7 speed chain, and fit properly on the crankset?
Any and all advice gratefully received, because my bike isn't rideable at the moment. Screenshot_20210715-081548__01.jpg

Stop gap, more of a permanent solution.
Stronglight is quality stuff. 9sp chainrings should work ok with whatever your chain is.
Only consideration is that different manufacturers machine differently where you may find the gap between large or granny ring may be 'uneven'. Easily put right by adding/removing the brass shims that mt60/62 seem to have (dont chuck them).
More rarely, the crank interface can be ever so slightly different too, where you may need to metal rasp a 100th to get the chainring to sit right. You see instantly what I mean should you encounter this.

Hope that helps.

Upon further examination, the old rings don't seem to have ramps and pins that I have observed on later year chainsets, so perhaps the shifting won't be so different/bad after all.

Stop gap, more of a permanent solution.
Stronglight is quality stuff. 9sp chainrings should work ok with whatever your chain is.
Only consideration is that different manufacturers machine differently where you may find the gap between large or granny ring may be 'uneven'. Easily put right by adding/removing the brass shims that mt60/62 seem to have (dont chuck them).
More rarely, the crank interface can be ever so slightly different too, where you may need to metal rasp a 100th to get the chainring to sit right. You see instantly what I mean should you encounter this.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, that's good info. I'm gonna go ahead and order one to try it out.

Upon further examination, the old rings don't seem to have ramps and pins that I have observed on later year chainsets, so perhaps the shifting won't be so different/bad after all.
I was searching for weeks for a Shimano replacement, I was so desperate to keep it period correct etc that I forgot about being able to ride the damn thing, after a lot of searching on various forums and sites I kept seeing the same thing - ''Just get a Stronglight''. So I gave up on finding a 30 year old centre chainring that was going to work like new and just got a new chainring that works like new and the bike is now my daily rider.

I was searching for weeks for a Shimano replacement, I was so desperate to keep it period correct etc that I forgot about being able to ride the damn thing, after a lot of searching on various forums and sites I kept seeing the same thing - ''Just get a Stronglight''. So I gave up on finding a 30 year old centre chainring that was going to work like new and just got a new chainring that works like new and the bike is now my daily rider.
I've fallen into the same trap several times while building this bike! The original purpose of building it was to have a nice light bike to take on road rides and gentle off road 'field beers' pootles in the summer, when riding my other (modern) bike with 2.8" tyres is total overkill. We're now halfway through July and the damn thing still isn't rideable! This StrongLight ring is the final piece of that problem though, and hopefully I'll be able to take the old girl out on her maiden voyage this weekend 🙂

I've fallen into the same trap several times while building this bike! The original purpose of building it was to have a nice light bike to take on road rides and gentle off road 'field beers' pootles in the summer, when riding my other (modern) bike with 2.8" tyres is total overkill. We're now halfway through July and the damn thing still isn't rideable! This StrongLight ring is the final piece of that problem though, and hopefully I'll be able to take the old girl out on her maiden voyage this weekend 🙂
Yes mate, get it riding, you can still keep your eyes peeled for a nice shimano part.

Back