Centurion Titanium SX from 1992/94

Way cool build and lots of exotic jewelry adorned on your bike, love it. So looking at the numbers from a Weight Weenie point of view which seems your path, these are below weights of what you have and not exotic. I have a few more to show you that were massed produced and stand up to or beat the Ti numbers. Specialized Ti spindle pedals made in Japan with composite body and steel screws (alloy or Ti would lose some weight), Ritchey Z Max tires, likely Japanese made, for race only (that's why we all bought them). You opened this up for debate since you wanted the lightest parts, just sayin...I hope this does not upset anyone, was trying to show and have a few more examples, that money does not produce light parts, innovation did. Titanium is not lighter than aluminum, just more durable.

Thank you Proto2000

I knew these Specialized Composite Ti Pedals. They are very light and nice but hard to find for a reasonable price. The Poggipolini pedals that I have now mounted are not much heavier either (ca. 246gr).

My Conti Twister Supersonic Tires also weigh only 360-365 grams each. I also used Tubolito bicycle tubes to save weight. Weight: 40 grams each.

There are many other lightweight tunings on that bike, like Ti freehub body from a XTR M950 rear hub, KMC X9SL chain (shortened: 250 grams). Ti axles on front and rear hub. Procraft Superlite Grips 19 Grams a set. SRP aluminum and Ti tuning on the Dia Compe 987 brakes, Chris King aluminum base plate for headset 3,3grams, Tune AC11 bottom bracket 165grams....... there are many other lightweight tuning parts on that bike.

I could also save some weight on the fork. For example, there is an mtb aluminum fork with a titanium shaft from Dynamics, which weighs only 580 grams. Or CQP Titanium cranks (307 grams). I could also remove the bar ends, which would save 120 grams. The bike could certainly be slimmed down to 7.9 kilos.

But 8.4 kilos are also considerable for a retro MTB without carbon parts (except for the saddle) :cool:

Regards and happy Eastern 🐣
Olli

Attachments

• Bild4389.jpg
    Bild4389.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Bild4340.jpg
    Bild4340.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00665.JPG
    DSC00665.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00741.JPG
    DSC00741.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Bild4359.jpg
    Bild4359.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 3
  • large_Procraft_Superlite_01.JPG
    large_Procraft_Superlite_01.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Bild5567.jpg
    Bild5567.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 6
  • CQP_Titan_Kurbeln_1992.jpg
    CQP_Titan_Kurbeln_1992.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Lovely build and proportions. If i can add anything is: lower the brake cable straddle and you will gain braking power + modulation. Straddle should be angled 90 degr. to brake arms for the best canti performance.
Those M900 brake levers you took off are the best levers ever made. The few grams you gain come w/ SLR action which add leverage to braking.
Center the rails and level the saddle. It hurts to even look at. if the Flite is uncomfortable, swap the saddle for a wider one. A saddle is the worst place to save weight if you plan to ride the bike.
Platform pedals like the suntour xc comp can weigh as little as 180grs. You don´t lose any speed and save weight.

Lovely build and proportions. If i can add anything is: lower the brake cable straddle and you will gain braking power + modulation. Straddle should be angled 90 degr. to brake arms for the best canti performance.
Those M900 brake levers you took off are the best levers ever made. The few grams you gain come w/ SLR action which add leverage to braking.
Center the rails and level the saddle. It hurts to even look at. if the Flite is uncomfortable, swap the saddle for a wider one. A saddle is the worst place to save weight if you plan to ride the bike.
Platform pedals like the suntour xc comp can weigh as little as 180grs. You don´t lose any speed and save weight.
Thank you very much. I'm glad you like my CenTi 🍻

The saddle angle is just right for me. I always adjust the saddle slightly inclined. This is the most comfortable way for me to sit on a saddle and it protects the perineal area. The Flite Evolution Carbon saddle may look uncomfortable, but it's actually more comfortable than the Flite leather saddle. The carbon saddle is very flexible and is surprisingly comfortable to sit on.

Never knew these Suntour pedals are that light. 🤯 If this is true, I'll try to get some of these. They are lighter then my weight reduced custom made Onza H.O. Ti Pedals which weight 183 grams. 😁

Greets
Olli

Attachments

• Bild3963.jpg
    Bild3963.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 3
Update:

Now with a 680 grams titanium rigid fork and Grafton Re-entry levers + shifter perches in purple.

I was searching for more than 2 years for a nice titanium rigid fork now and finally I found one 🥰

8.3 kilos at the moment. :cool:

Bild11508.jpg
Bild11510.jpg
Bild11505.jpg
Bild11524.jpg
Regards
Olli

Back