Caustic soda time

MR OX

Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
I’ve lost count of the siezed seatposts I’ve not bothered with so decided to give the caustic soda a bash in my latest “No it’s proper jammed & I’m running out of patients” frame rather then give up 85394EC2-9A9A-4CA7-AA15-C5CB84232589.jpeg 85394EC2-9A9A-4CA7-AA15-C5CB84232589.jpeg

Messy business. Did it once. Not sure I want to repeat it. Sitting back & awaiting pictures with a brew in hand. 😁

Popped out for a look just now & the blue tac bung had dislodged :( I now have a very clean section of concrete 😆
Mixed up another batch & off we go again, looks like it'd done a fair bit of work but very little mess 👍

Smash a raw potato on it. When we were kids it was the weapon of choice to seal 2 stroke exhausts before pouring de coke in.

Eric on Spindatt used liquid gallium to remove a stuck aluminum seat post. It only works on steel frames, but it looked less messy than the caustic soda method.

So I've not paid this much attention but had today off so revisited it. All the solution had leaked out although the plug was still in the bottom bracket. It has got messy too so left it out in the sun to make sure it was dry & went back to it this afternoon.
I've been using fairly gentle solutions & it shows, minimal removal of material however some has got between the post & frame & loosened the top of the post however the rest is still stuck firm!
I've started so I'll finish, it's all good practice.

Back