Cassette speed clarification

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":1vc6vcab said:
FluffyChicken":1vc6vcab said:
That's clear.

So what works with my 10speed SRAM XO gripshift?

more 10speed SRAM XO gripshift?

but they only go on the bars.
I'm lost in SRAM world now and XO very expensive, what cheaper parts run with SRAM 10speed setup ?
I can cope with 1997, but not this sort of lark, I looked at sram and nowt made sense and they did expensive funny cassettes and stuff ;-)

Can I use a Shimano Sora front mech or I have them, for example and any old SRAM rear mech X3, X4 for example ? or SRAM Rival have I may have one of them ?

Re:

Not all Shimano 10-11 speed is cross compatible due to cable pull. As LGF said 11 speed needs a dedicated free hub. Head over to the Shimano Archive, they publish compatibility documents which clearly shows what can and cannot be meshed together.

Re:

SRAM also has compatibility issues, for example you can’t use a 10 speed Apex mech with 8 speed (modern) has gripshift despite the claimed common pull ratio. I know this for a fact when I tried to do it! I had to buy an X4 mech. I don’t have any tech docs to help though, sorry.

Re:

Oh man. I didn't realise I was going to open a can of worms like this.

Thank you all for the extra information. Never thought a 10spd chain would work with an 8spd cassette.

Makes sense, I was of the understanding the chain had to be matched to the speed of the cassette and the same for the shifters/ rear mech. Eg. All 8 speed matched components or 9 speed etc.

Interesting to read about the shifter and derailleur compatibility again I thought these would be speed specific matches.

Trying to keep the road stuff out of the picture but the point on thumbies is noted.

Basically just looking to map a 1x 11 out in the future and understand what speed wheel is required but knowledge is power. Never knew some older wheels won't take an 11 speed and that newer 8-10s may have a spacer.

I'm thinking 1x10 will keep it simpler for hub compatibility and therefore match shifter, deraullier and chain to 10 speed too to avoid any headaches.

Re:

So I bought a cheap 10 speed shifter, connected to a 9 speed derailleur and 10 speed cassette and chain.

I forgot 10 speed Shimano MTB is Dyna-Sys and only works with compatible derailleurs :facepalm:

Back on eBay the shifter goes!

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":1jzqj48t said:
So I bought a cheap 10 speed shifter, connected to a 9 speed derailleur and 10 speed cassette and chain.

I forgot 10 speed Shimano MTB is Dyna-Sys and only works with compatible derailleurs :facepalm:

Back on eBay the shifter goes!

I can send you a 10spd dyna-sys rear mech for not too much?

Back