Cannondale Scalpel sub-20lb Full Sus 26er build

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The history to this is in the S Works Stumpjumper project that I nearly completed: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/sub-10kg-22lb-s-works-full-sus-project.424692/. But somehow I just wasn't feeling it, I'm not sure why. I wasn't really looking for something else, but as I got close to finishing it a chance came up to get this Cannondale Scaplel Hi Mod frame and I took it on a bit of a whim.

The frame is light. Insanely light. 1660g exactly for the frame including the DT Swiss Nude Carbon shock, BB and headset. I'm confident it's going to come out at 20lb fully built, and probably a touch lighter than that. Spec below.

I've resolved a few issues (headset conversion to 1 & 1/8, pressfit to Shimano BB) and started to assemble it but I have a couple left that are delaying the final build-up (an XTR brake lever with too much play and a freehub that sticks when clamped in the frame).

Edit: it's now pretty much complete after some issues with the brakes and wheels I planned for it. It's now sporting a lovely set of Hope SP-XC3s on Stans ZTR 355. I may replace the tyres for something a bit heavier duty but the lightweight Kendas are doing ok in the dry weather so far! I might alsp switch the flat bar for a riser and the XT brakes may get upgraded at some point, but they're working nicely at the moment.

Full spec as pictured:

2012 Cannondale Scalpel Hi Mod Carbon frame (size L) with DT Swiss Nude Carbon shock
RockShox Sid XX with remote
Hope SP-XC3 hubs on Stans ZTR 355
Kenda Klimax Lite 345g 1.95"
Shimano XTR M960 chainset with TA C116 outer ring
KMC X9-SL chain
Shimano Dura Ace CS-7700 cassette 12-27
Shimano XT M785 brakes
Hope 3-bolt rotors 160mm
Shimano XTR SL-M970 Shifters
Shimano XTR M970 direct mount front mech
Shimano Dura Ace RD-7900 short cage rear mech
Easton EC90 31.6 seatpost
GUB Carbon saddle
Syntace F109 Stem
Truvativ T40 Carbon Noir bar 580mm
Ritchey Truegrips WCS
Xpedo Mag Ti M-Force 4 clipless pedals, 229g
Titanium allen skewers
KCNC seatclamp

The current weight is 19.96lbs / 9.06kg inc pedals.

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

Last edited:
A last bit of tinkering still going on - I've now got an Easton Monkeylite SL 635mm lo-riser to replace the flat 580mm Truvativ (fortunately it's superlight too so is only going to add another 27g...)

I absolutely love these bikes and had one which I raced for many years, I did a 27.5 conversion on mine and was probably the lightest 27.5 bike around at the time! I have a lefty sat in the shed for one of these but it needs a rebuild

amazing build enjoy 😊

Funnily enough I'd thought about going 27.5 before I built it up actually (I've never had a 27.5) but one of the main attractions of this build was using a bunch of nice parts I had already left over bringing in a lightweight build without much outlay. The main issue was that it would have needed a different fork (no clearance for 27.5 on the Sid), and I could be wrong but there seemed to be relatively few 27.5 wheel options for a QR axle on the rear.

Funnily enough I'd thought about going 27.5 before I built it up actually (I've never had a 27.5) but one of the main attractions of this build was using a bunch of nice parts I had already left over bringing in a lightweight build without much outlay. The main issue was that it would have needed a different fork (no clearance for 27.5 on the Sid), and I could be wrong but there seemed to be relatively few 27.5 wheel options for a QR axle on the rear.
Mine had the lefty to start off with which obviously doesn’t have clearance issues, I then built custom wheels using light bicycle carbon rims on dt240 and a lefty hub, and i also fitted offset bushings to lower the bb and slacken the head angle! If you ever want to do a 27.5 conversion it’s well worth it, mine was an absolute weapon in the single track I miss it so much 😞 this is about the best picture I have

Attachments

• 33538003-DC6E-4A04-AC2C-F21BC6FFD3A4.jpeg
    33538003-DC6E-4A04-AC2C-F21BC6FFD3A4.jpeg
    792.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back