Cannondale M800 (Light Project)

Chris King PHS434 fully seated, Etch primed fork for painting. The paint loss looks liked its came from brake cable rub on each side as they do, though you need to scrape/scratch back more to ensure a bond with the primmer and remove all unstable paint. The top of the red is not "flaking" just where am wet n' dry-ing it in. Another rub down and coat of primer required, third time now there.

Those touch up paints seen good given the proper code etc, its workable after 24 hours, I would wait longer though, unless you can fit the fork in your oven :) . The reason of fitting the bottom race first is that in reality those touch up paints for cars bikes etc will take up to 30 days to harden. (they are what they are - ready made touch up paint)

To be honest I could see this part far enough, if the frame/fork is what you think out off scope to touch up! Just get it Powder Coated and try to locate decals. (or live with it)

Attachments

• Thirty Five.JPG
    Thirty Five.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hopefully I can find new cages and balls for the set, either that loose the cages and fit the appropriate size of loose bearings, unsure on this method though as they probably fitted cages for a reason?
You've moved on from this headset, but I'll answer the question in case it's useful for anyone else:

The cages are there for ease of assembly. (As we well know🙄)

Often if you use loose bearings instead of caged, you need a different number - but if you do this, it means the bearings are no longer "in phase" with the brinnelling of the race so new life can be breathed into a tired headset this way if replacement is not an option.

Last edited:
You've moved on from this headset, but I'll answer the question in case it's useful for anyone else:

The cages are there for ease of assembly.

Often if you use loose bearings instead of caged, you need a different number - but if you do this, it means the bearings are no longer "in phase" with the brinnelling of the race so new life can be breathed into a tired headset this way if replacement is not an option.
"Brinnelling" fantastic - I hope people Google that word! Thanks @bikeworkshop

"bearings are no longer "in phase"" -
I have built and re-built headsets since I was 10 years old, am now 52, bikes long gone, and to be honest your correct about the "phase" being off, if the headset was manufactured to have a race, no matter what loose bearings you insert. You can just tell! (the phase is off) I found the same removing cages from hubs back in the 80's and fitting loose bearings. (the phase was off) "brinnelling of the race" @bikeworkshop

Thank you for the post, appreciated.

Last edited:
Back