Cannondale identification please

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I’ve been offered a Cannondale at an as yet to be agreed price, but I know very little (i.e. nothing) about Cannondales, so don’t know what I should offer.
Only got a single picture of it at present and I’m struggling to identify which model it is.

From what I can see it’s red (duh), quill stem, Pepperoni forks, wish-bone seat stay, non-extended dropouts. Any ideas?? Thanks. A6B205C6-63A2-4A97-9003-0634F6BC01D7.jpeg

It might be the light or slightly out of focus photo but that looks like a fillet brazed frame to me. I don't know much about Cannondale but if it is fillet brazed then it's going to be worth a second look for sure. It looks a bit like this M300

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It might be the light or slightly out of focus photo but that looks like a fillet brazed frame to me. I don't know much about Cannondale but if it is fillet brazed then it's going to be worth a second look for sure. It looks a bit like this M300
Close - but I’m sure the one in my photo has a wishbone seatstay whereas the M300 doesn’t.

The closest I can find is this ‘95 M900 (in red), but it’s an Aheadset frame.
46E51B13-A176-46D3-B850-55A192C716C8.jpeg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
XT thumbies and possibly SS5 levers ?. XYZ bar ends as well by the looks of it. The curved Peperoni and wishbone stay should help narrow it down. It cant be that long between them going wishbone and to straight p bone forks, maybe 1 or 2 years as a pure guess.

It looks like Cannondale went to the wishbone about 1995. In the 1995 catalogue, only the M300 and M400 in the ATB range haven't moved to Ahead, but then neither of those came with Pepperoni forks. Given the mix of age of the other parts, could it be an older threaded Pepperoni that's been matched with a 95-> frame?

It looks like Cannondale went to the wishbone about 1995. In the 1995 catalogue, only the M300 and M400 in the ATB range haven't moved to Ahead, but then neither of those came with Pepperoni forks. Given the mix of age of the other parts, could it be an older threaded Pepperoni that's been matched with a 95-> frame?
This is the challenge, trying to match frame design with fork / headset type.

This 1996 M200SE frame looks right, and it’s a quill stem, but the Peperonis aren’t present. It’s a real head scratcher!

5156D879-AA73-4626-ABBD-F65031C85A3F.jpeg

Cable hangers on the ‘95 M900 aren’t on the frame in my photo, so I’m inclined to say it’s closer to the ‘96 M200SE

Collected it today and immediately tore it apart. Most of the parts are rotten, but somewhat surprisingly *most* of the parts came off.
8E73DC34-2C5A-491B-B1E1-07853FA8894F.jpeg
Frame code ‘GD’ confirms it is an April 1995 bike, and without knowing how to decipher the rest of the frame numbers (I’ve read that they don’t actually give any clarity on model type), I’m of the opinion it is an M900. There’s a sticker which states it’s a 16”.
The only oddity is that the Pepperonis are threaded 🤷‍♂️
55015EBC-87D1-40BD-A2EB-BBB874EC0736.jpeg When I say most of the parts came off, the biggest issue is that the stem/headset/forks are stuck fast - I mean solid, I can’t even turn the bars with considerable force applied.
Cable guide undoes, headset does not, and I don’t have an Allen key that can access the stem bolt.
The skewers are spinning in their plastic end caps, and I’ve not managed to get the BB out yet.
The rear triangle was full of fairly clear liquid, which was released when the wishbone rack mounts were removed.
019D76B1-E499-4540-98F8-AC5F1DCFC853.jpeg
304FA528-6711-49AD-97D2-FA1A50B9C330.jpeg
396D4F57-3D42-4BAD-BB7A-DF96EE4A78E5.jpeg

Now to scratch my head as to how to release the front end….

Back