Cannondale Conundrum....

Re: Re:

ishaw":2ht02urr said:
Are you sure the head tube is 1 inch? It could have reducer cups fitted. I'm no expert but I've not come across a cannondale with a 1 inch head tube before.

Sadly 100% sure....

My_Teenage_Self":dtckr3hf said:
the only reason I mentioned the hanger is that *most* cannondale MTBs in the 1995 catalogue had replaceable hangers, but there are a few pics on the web of the 95 M200, (which wasn't in the US catalogue) which was the same colour, and didn't have the replaceable hanger.

1995 is totally credible as it has the right decals, colour, and the rear doesn't have the seat stays intercepting the chainstays ahead of the dropouts. So *if* it is a 95, looks like it might be low end.

Now this conflicts with information that I have just been told by a member of another group on a certain social media site. This fella claims that he used to sell Cannondales in the day, with the high end M series frame being the toughest to sell. The reason he gave was that the M frame was the same throughout the range, with only the spec changing the fame model number. Obviously the higher spec chainset the higher frame number, so people chose the lower spec bike to get the frame cheaper, then replaced the parts as they were out for higher end parts.
From what you're saying there was a notable difference between low spec games and their high spec counter parts, would you have any frame details/ catalogues to check this against?
And the guy that posted his bike is a M700, which has the same frame.
In honesty I don't mind what it is, it's in fantastic condition and it'll do what I need it to, Im just new to this and wanted to know what it was, now I know that it's an M series, but nobody knows which model :facepalm:

legrandefromage":1d8ezyc5 said:
Annoyingly 1 inch ahead, just to make things really awkward

file.php

Great looking bike. :xmas-cool:

Mid life Kona":9tz4dxw5 said:
My_Teenage_Self":9tz4dxw5 said:
the only reason I mentioned the hanger is that *most* cannondale MTBs in the 1995 catalogue had replaceable hangers, but there are a few pics on the web of the 95 M200, (which wasn't in the US catalogue) which was the same colour, and didn't have the replaceable hanger.

1995 is totally credible as it has the right decals, colour, and the rear doesn't have the seat stays intercepting the chainstays ahead of the dropouts. So *if* it is a 95, looks like it might be low end.

Now this conflicts with information that I have just been told by a member of another group on a certain social media site. This fella claims that he used to sell Cannondales in the day, with the high end M series frame being the toughest to sell. The reason he gave was that the M frame was the same throughout the range, with only the spec changing the fame model number. Obviously the higher spec chainset the higher frame number, so people chose the lower spec bike to get the frame cheaper, then replaced the parts as they were out for higher end parts.
From what you're saying there was a notable difference between low spec games and their high spec counter parts, would you have any frame details/ catalogues to check this against?
In honesty I don't mind what it is, it's in fantastic condition and it'll do what I need it to, Im just new to this and wanted to know what it was, now I know that it's an M series, but nobody knows which model :facepalm:

https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1995/1995.pdf
http://community.vintagecannondale.com/ ... -m200.139/

I'm not an expert on this.

The frame thing isn't right though, as (according to the catalogue) the M range had 3 different frames, 2.8, 3.0 and 3.8. the 3.0 is a different frame style (BOTE), but your frame should weigh either 3.1 or 3.8lb.

The catalogue also says ALL their mountain frames have replaceable hangers...?

Weird. Regardless, it's a damn nice frame.

Mid life Kona":83dkwaom said:
Hi All,

I'm looking for some help and guidance again... As my 99 Explosif build is slowly edging towards completion, and will soon be a great useable trail bike, what better way to celebrate than to build another bike.. :facepalm:

I was lucky enough to buy the Cannondale frame pictured for peanuts, and it is one of the cleanest frames for its age I've seen. The condition is perfect, with a couple of very minor cosmetic Mark's letting it down. The colour is Pearl Blue on the sides and Black over the top and bottom the tubes. But, other than being a Cannondale, and made in the USA, I don't know what frame it is. I've used an online dating code and it's possibly a May 95 frame.

It came fitted with heavy, old, rusty and seized Suntour XCR forks. I didn't see it as an issue as I had a pair of Black project 2 forks that I was going to use for now, until I could find the right forks as my intention with it was to build a rigid bike on sticks for commuting. However, my dilemma is that the frame has a 1" headstock and I've never had a bike that isn't 1 1/8", and I'm clueless what to do, or what is available :oops:

Are there good, straight legged forks with a 1" steerer and a decent headset available or have I bought a bit of a Lemon? I'd like to fit some proper Cannondale forks, (P Bone?) but nothing with a curved leg. Does anyone have any ideas, or have a gained something to hang in the garage?

And I apologise for the upside down image, I tried saving it and rotating it on my tablet, and it still flipped it again. ;)

My guess memory its a Cad 1 frame, from 96/97, the colour and lack of decals leads me to assume its a mid season offering, if it originally came with a rigid fork it will be an M, if it came with suspension it will be an F series, around 300 model. Cannondales came supplied from via Europe to the Uk, and stock had to be ordered in advance, ideally they like the shops "years" order so they knew what to build, and it was delivered in three loads. Often throughout the year and throughout the range, Special models were offered, I foundly remember the American flag model for example, but it was simply a way to increase production, increase interest, fill gaps both on shop floors and at assembly. there were often spec differences obviously dependant on parts avaliability etc, and always differed in there paint colour/finish to the currently running catalogue. The fact its missing its model designation reinforces the mid season offering, the other alternative to this, is the frame was a warranty replacement, (thankfully i never had this happen first hand.)

I cant comment on... if this scenario was the same to be said for Europe, but it was certainly a regular occurance here in the UK.

Your paint is original, it has never been painted, you'll note the original frame size decal still in tact. It would have been a low end build spec regardless of rigid or suspension and the weight will be around about 4lbs just over, size dependant. I wouldnt worry about the Low end Assembly spec, it is still hand made in the USA and will still be lighter than the majority of its contempories at the same price point that were made of steel.

I hope thats of some help.

My_Teenage_Self":29vadpq4 said:
Mid life Kona":29vadpq4 said:
My_Teenage_Self":29vadpq4 said:

https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1995/1995.pdf
http://community.vintagecannondale.com/ ... -m200.139/

I'm not an expert on this.

The frame thing isn't right though, as (according to the catalogue) the M range had 3 different frames, 2.8, 3.0 and 3.8. the 3.0 is a different frame style (BOTE), but your frame should weigh either 3.1 or 3.8lb.

The catalogue also says ALL their mountain frames have replaceable hangers...?

Weird. Regardless, it's a damn nice frame.

From reading that, I'd say it was a M2000, judging by the colour description and the way it looks... BUT, it doesn't have a replaceable hanger.. so I have no idea. If it had been an 1 1/8" frame, I wouldn't have even bothered asking, but I couldn't get my head around the fact that such a 'modern' frame had a 1" headset.

I do agree with you though, it is a great looking frame.

sinnerman":27s2ugde said:
Mid life Kona":27s2ugde said:
Hi All,

I'm looking for some help and guidance again... As my 99 Explosif build is slowly edging towards completion, and will soon be a great useable trail bike, what better way to celebrate than to build another bike.. :facepalm:

I was lucky enough to buy the Cannondale frame pictured for peanuts, and it is one of the cleanest frames for its age I've seen. The condition is perfect, with a couple of very minor cosmetic Mark's letting it down. The colour is Pearl Blue on the sides and Black over the top and bottom the tubes. But, other than being a Cannondale, and made in the USA, I don't know what frame it is. I've used an online dating code and it's possibly a May 95 frame.

It came fitted with heavy, old, rusty and seized Suntour XCR forks. I didn't see it as an issue as I had a pair of Black project 2 forks that I was going to use for now, until I could find the right forks as my intention with it was to build a rigid bike on sticks for commuting. However, my dilemma is that the frame has a 1" headstock and I've never had a bike that isn't 1 1/8", and I'm clueless what to do, or what is available :oops:

Are there good, straight legged forks with a 1" steerer and a decent headset available or have I bought a bit of a Lemon? I'd like to fit some proper Cannondale forks, (P Bone?) but nothing with a curved leg. Does anyone have any ideas, or have a gained something to hang in the garage?

And I apologise for the upside down image, I tried saving it and rotating it on my tablet, and it still flipped it again. ;)

My guess memory its a Cad 1 frame, from 96/97, the colour and lack of decals leads me to assume its a mid season offering, if it originally came with a rigid fork it will be an M, if it came with suspension it will be an F series, around 300 model. Cannondales came supplied from via Europe to the Uk, and stock had to be ordered in advance, ideally they like the shops "years" order so they knew what to build, and it was delivered in three loads. Often throughout the year and throughout the range, Special models were offered, I foundly remember the American flag model for example, but it was simply a way to increase production, increase interest, fill gaps both on shop floors and at assembly. there were often spec differences obviously dependant on parts avaliability etc, and always differed in there paint colour/finish to the currently running catalogue. The fact its missing its model designation reinforces the mid season offering, the other alternative to this, is the frame was a warranty replacement, (thankfully i never had this happen first hand.)

I cant comment on... if this scenario was the same to be said for Europe, but it was certainly a regular occurance here in the UK.

Your paint is original, it has never been painted, you'll note the original frame size decal still in tact. It would have been a low end build spec regardless of rigid or suspension and the weight will be around about 4lbs just over, size dependant. I wouldnt worry about the Low end Assembly spec, it is still hand made in the USA and will still be lighter than the majority of its contempories at the same price point that were made of steel.

I hope thats of some help.

What a great reply, and thanks for the input. What you've written makes total sense, and I'm sure that all the various brands did similar marketing tricks to secure sales.
Its interesting that you mentioned the potential for being a warranty frame, as I was told that these frames were prone to cracking. Whether there is any truth in this I have no idea, as back in the day I bought a Trek OCLV 9800 and I had my own issues to deal with...
But with a rekindled interest in MTB that I used to ride and can identify with, I bought this, for less than the inner tubes I've bought to put on it, having been sat for years, and from the condition, having been used very, very lightly. The only reason for asking about the frame is because of the steerer size, I honestly believed that 1 1/8" was standard to all bikes from the early 90's and this looked too factory to be an aftermarket repaint. Hence the conundrum as to what I'd bought.
I don't care about the spec it should have, I'm building it to be a commuter, so it won't have the right bits anyway, but it will preserve the excellent condition of the bike, whilst still being enjoyed.

Here it is i pictures for you.

The internet is a great place, someone coins a saying that sounds cool, "Crack N Fail" and before you know it its how there remembered, i did 7 years, and saw some bikes put through things that should never have been possible and the failure rate was so small it was impressive.

Im leaning toward the midseason model, purely becasue of the type of buyer who would have bought the bike, it would have been better than average bike and with a good brand name, often bought on a whim, used then put away in the garage, with very little use. And the condition its in now is testomony to that, in my head.... :?

Attachments

• Capture 1997 part two.PNG
    Capture 1997 part two.PNG
    281.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Capture 1997.PNG
    Capture 1997.PNG
    418.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Capture 1996 part two..PNG
    Capture 1996 part two..PNG
    602.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Capture 1996..PNG
    Capture 1996..PNG