Cannondale CAAD5

dazdc5

Retro Guru
caad5.jpg

caad5crank-2.jpg

Here is the bike before we did any work ;)

I will be doing some work on this Cannondale for my brother in law soon, just wondered if anyone has any info on it.

It appears to have a Shimano 105 VERY tired chainset ie no profile left, just triangular sharks teeth and a stretched saggy chain which will all have to be replaced as my 1.25 gauge slides back and forth!!

As long as its 53 teeth and 130 BCD on a five arm spider, can the chainrings be replaced with any manufacturer? Square taper BB?

An emergency repair we've carried out so he could ride it was the back brake cable was rusted and bloated where it rubbed the head tube, meaning you could apply the brake, but then need to pull the calipers apart by hand to release :facepalm: ..easy on an MTB, but the road bike needs all its bar tape stripping to get to the outers .. and then re-wrapped... all good learning!

Cant remember if it's an 8 or 9 speed and I did warn him not to give the drivetrain too many beans or there may be some unwanted crossbar/testicle interaction!

Cheers.

Good find. I had a CAAD4 a few years ago.
You will need a 130BCD chainring to replace the worn ones, that crankset I'm sure is what's known as a 'Hollowtech' version by shimano. The crank mounts to the axle via splines like on a car's driveshafts as opposed to the old square taper type you may be familiar with. Nothing special as it has since been superseded by Hollowtech 2. You will need a small tool, insert-plug in order to remove the cranks with an old style crank puller/extractor.

Get to work on it & ask here if you get stuck with anything - wrapping bar tape is easy when you know how.

Re:

I cannot remember what the crank looked like and the bike lives twenty miles away at the moment, but pretty sure there were no 5mm Alan bolts on the non drive side arm indicating Hollowtech... unless they differ to MTB cranks??
The 39 tooth inner chainring looks fine wear wise.. the previous owner must've rode the big ring full time.. :eek:

2 bolts on the LH would be Hollowtech 2.
1st gen hollowtech has an 8mm allen key bolt holding each crank arm on, but you will find the threaded section of the bolt is very large dia. You'll notice straight away when undone.

Back