Can you repair/weld/glue a cracked rim ?

Joe*Pro

Senior Retro Guru
So this turned up in the post today after much looking for a matching rim and then discovered on closer inspection it looked like it had a crack in it. once rim tape glue had been cleaned off, it’s confirmed As per pics. (Seller gave full refund no hassles 👍🏼)

As it’s just on the outer wall, and then mostly for lighter use, could I get it fixed/reinforced/glued/welded or anything do you think ?

D070152A-6352-4201-9D6D-B6C51B7FF980.jpeg

Attachments

• F16D6343-B19A-49F8-A5E0-8207A93EFD5E.jpeg
    F16D6343-B19A-49F8-A5E0-8207A93EFD5E.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 23
  • F1913225-0BA5-4846-9BB1-40876EF2240F.jpeg
    F1913225-0BA5-4846-9BB1-40876EF2240F.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 21
  • AAD14BF1-CE17-45DB-BB0E-41FF36E521FA.jpeg
    AAD14BF1-CE17-45DB-BB0E-41FF36E521FA.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 22
That is a dead rim, gone to meet it's maker, shuffled off this mortal coil, gone to join the choir invisibule, it is an ex rim...

At your own risk:

Drill some small holes at each end of crack.

Rub the anodising down to raw alloy and use a strip of carbon fibre cloth and epoxy.

Good quality epoxy is wonderful stuff.

Then follow @pete_mcc advice Just put the rim tape back on and drink so heavily you forget the past 24hrs and you’ll be all good

And check it reasonably frequently until you're sure it's holding.

Disclaimers: I presume only moderate usage is planned. Also presuming there is no cracking on exterior surface of rim.

I’m not an engineer, depending on what kind of riding your doing (light nothing fast) surely this would still be workable 217 we’re double walled? Someone please correct me before someone dies xD

I've no experience in rim repair, but i sold a set of what I thought were decent Mavic crossmax ceramic wheels a while ago. They came on a bike I bought which I stripped and rebuilt for my son. It looked great and he loved it, but it was too big for him so I ended up with another frame that was disc only so hung the wheels up until I needed them again. Instead of using them, I answered a wanted ad for a set of the wheels and sold them. New owner removed the rim strips (which I'd never done, but will always do in future....) And found one Tim had a crack, but nowhere near as bad as the one in this thread.

Fortunately the buyer was cool about it, and I ended up giving some money back. I'd happily have taken the wheels back and fully refunded as I'd no idea about the crack, but he said he was going to repair the rim. I've no idea how, or what came of it, but as it was only the internal wall, I can only assume some sort of wekd repair to it, or patch as suggested above

If he reads this, maybe he can share how he did it, what use the wheel got and how it stood up?

Back