Can anyone identify this Robert's?

I’ve come across this old beauty and wanted to see if anyone could date it for me? I’m assuming that it is a genuine Robert’s - there is an R on the shoulder of the forks and the frame number appears to be 3 digits -655. I have tried to match it to others on eBay but the joint of the stays to the seat tube seems quite unusual. There is also no marking to identify the tubing - how would I go about this? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Possibly later ‘70’s with those details. Fastback seatstays would have been an option. I suspect predominantly Reynolds tubes but Columbus were used.

Looks all straight and honest to me. Note how the tips of the lug points have been filed thinner - all a sign of real quality. As Roberts was bespoke, things like lug and stay designs often are to the customer's taste. Also tubing was selected to suit, so as Mat's comment, the best combination across tube ranges could have been used.

They were using that font in the late 70's and early 80's. I'd date it to that time. I believe those are Prugnat lugs on the headtube. Brazed on cable guides atop the BB are within the era.

Track bike from 1981
nos_vintage_bike_parts_suntour_zeus_campagnolo_160__68362.1565659740.jpg

A tourer from 1980

Over bb guides with top tube guides sort of put it late 70's to early 80's.... As its a touring machine it has the earlier long rear dropouts rather than the shorter portacatena dropouts.

Smartly made, neat shore lines as mentioned plus italienate seat cluster which was used higher up the frame food chain usually.

Back