Can anyone identify this frame?

My first response was Iron Horse as well but must admit I'd only seen an aluminium one like the above not the OP's steed, interesting 😎

No, not an Iron Horse, but she's a horse made of iron (well, probably cromoly).

I recieved a response from Modolo, after I emailed them to see if the Modolo sticker was a clue;

------

Hello,

For what I remember, there was only a brief time when there was a collaboration with a designer that made a frame called Titanal, that was a Titanium - Alluminium thing, and they were assembled in modolo Factory.
I found here an example : https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/hercules-titanal-xr1-27484

Best Regards

Max Modolo

------

What a nice fella!

No, not an Iron Horse, but she's a horse made of iron (well, probably cromoly).

I recieved a response from Modolo, after I emailed them to see if the Modolo sticker was a clue;

------

Hello,

For what I remember, there was only a brief time when there was a collaboration with a designer that made a frame called Titanal, that was a Titanium - Alluminium thing, and they were assembled in modolo Factory.
I found here an example : https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/hercules-titanal-xr1-27484

Best Regards

Max Modolo

------

What a nice fella!
Hi,
Indeed, nice that a friendly Modolo employee was sending you feedback.
Just to me this doesn't seem to be a Titanal frame.
It wasn't possible to regularly weld Titanal. So the tubes had been rolled from shets and lugs have been used to connect the tubes.
Yours has definitely a cromo rear triangle if not the entire frame.
Please check if it's magnetic.

In trems of the frame design, to me this reminds a bit of an Ironhorse but also a bit a Sator Hyster, as mentioned already, or a Shannon Bonebreaker

Last edited:
Didn't Barracuda have that top tube / rear triangle configuration? The paint doesn't look right though - I recall them being primarily white with some 90's color decals. Is it a respray?

Didn't Barracuda have that top tube / rear triangle configuration? The paint doesn't look right though - I recall them being primarily white with some 90's color decals. Is it a respray?
I didn’t think of Barracuda (I haven’t thought of that brand for 20 years!), and had a look but all their designs are pretty conventional. It DOES look as though this mystery frame has had a spray at some point. It’s possible that it used to be white??

Hi,
Indeed, nice that a friendly Modolo employee was sending you feedback.
Just to me this doesn't seem to be a Titanal frame.
It wasn't possible to regularly weld Titanal. So the tubes had been rolled from shets and lugs have been used to connect the tubes.
Yours has definitely a cromo rear triangle if not the entire frame.
Please check if it's magnetic.

In trems of the frame design, to me this reminds a bit of an Ironhorse but also a bit a Sator Hyster, as mentioned already, or a Shannon Bonebreaker
Definitely not a Titanal. This mystery frame is all welded steel, and yes consists of ferrous material being magnetic.

company called ironhorse was doing something similar to that seattube region design here in the US, but that frame looks way older
Ironhorse! That's the brand I was thinking of - not Barracuda.

So I’ve stripped the paint off this thing now, and lo and behold there’s a serial. It says;
BY JKF
- 10 -

Could it be the French builder JKF (Jean-Francois Kaufmann)?

Attachments

• ADF6D4EF-01CE-40E3-87A4-5A45863BA813.jpeg
    ADF6D4EF-01CE-40E3-87A4-5A45863BA813.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 17
Back