campagnolo record front derailleur

Bucko

Retro Newbie
Does anyone know which of the vintage campagnolo record front derailleurs has a built in cable stop. My bike does not have a cable guide but a cable stop brazed to the downtube so need a short piece of outer cable between stop a front mech

You don't need a length of cable. Just run the wire under the BB shell between the chainstays and take it up to the clamp bolt on the mech. Works a treat and doesn't get clarted up with muck.

It's only the early versions that had the cable stop.

I think........

Re:

As per Midlife's link it's the very earliest ones up to gen 3 that have the cable stop. I still have my 1st gen version (have no use for it but can't bring myself to sell it) and it weighs a ton (figuratively speaking) compared to the 1980s ones.

Ned: Doesn't the BB shell get scored by the cable eventually without a guide?

Mark.

Got a first generation one from online auction site with the cable stop. Thanks to all who gave advice

Re: Re:

daccordimark":3o1d87y9 said:
As per Midlife's link it's the very earliest ones up to gen 3 that have the cable stop. I still have my 1st gen version (have no use for it but can't bring myself to sell it) and it weighs a ton (figuratively speaking) compared to the 1980s ones.

Mark.
the paint does, but there's no danger of eating too much metal away

Re: Re:

pigman":2ajajiij said:
daccordimark":2ajajiij said:

Mark.
the paint does, but there's no danger of eating too much metal away
You can also run a short length of outer cable under the shell to run the cable through if you're concerned. The tension in the inner cable will keep it in place. However, it will get filled with muck and rubbish. If you go out in bad conditions with it that is! I've never had a problem with bare wire, it doesn't move that much.

Hi Bucko,
I wouldn't worry about the concern over ""muck".
I have continuously used my Raleigh Record Ace since new in 1984 (that's 36 years) which has a short length of open coil outer cable just running between stops under the BB. The FD is Nuovo Tipo Gran Sport, which is identical to the Record mid-model with no holes in the cage. All I have ever done is drip/spray/whateverlubricatesthatcomestohand infrequently in the ends and along its length and have never had any problem with sticking or corrosion nor even wear (not there in the cable run anyway). I only even changed the FD inner cable when the Rear Derailleur cable frayed and I changed the pair to stainless ones to match.
As to the 'model version' with outer cable stop to hunt for, I am open to correction, but I believe Campag. didn't change reference number 1052/1 of the Record FD from when introduced in ~1960 right up to deletion in 1987 (even if a new 7 digit corporate number system was latterly added).
So you just have to hunt on the images to see if the Record/Nuovo Record FD in adverts has the cable stop you need. I think it is a mid 70's version.
VeloBase.com is an invaluable source of information, I find.
I hope you find what you need, don't be in too much of a hurry and pay over the odds, I am pretty sure I have seen them come up for sale quite often.
Regards,
Robin.

Back