Campagnolo Euclid 91 BB spindle length+Shimano compatibility

ibbz":2c8xr7jn said:
Prodigal Son":2c8xr7jn said:
Campagnolo taper is different from Shimano. Once you install a campa crank on a shimano spindle it´s converted to shimano. If you ever sell the crankset after doin it you need disclose the info: it won´t fit campagnolo BB anymore.
Yes the Campy has an iso taper - I’ve inserted a campag crank on a Shimano spindle - it fits but not as correctly as on an ISO taper - so took it off - but how would This ‘convert’ it ? Haven’t tampered with nor changed the inside shaft

If you actually install the crankset on a shimano spindle, it will work since aluminum will compress, deform and adapt to shimano taper.

Re: Re:

The downside is that the pedals are heavy (as is the seat QR binder)

Yep they sure are. Campag were way off the target with Euclid vs. XT which is why they created Centaur which was meant to be more racier and sat between Deore and Deore XT in terms of cost. Campag only really nailed the performance/weight on Record OR.

I love old Campag MTB stuff. Clunky, heavy and not necessarily that elegant, but still kinda attractive/has charm! :LOL:

Regarding the ISO taper onto Shimano spindle - the soft alloy crank vs. hardened steel spindle would mean the taper on the crank would deform once tightened to match that of the shimano BB.

Lovely build by the way! :D

Prodigal Son":of189fkp said:
ibbz":of189fkp said:
Prodigal Son":of189fkp said:
Campagnolo taper is different from Shimano. Once you install a campa crank on a shimano spindle it´s converted to shimano. If you ever sell the crankset after doin it you need disclose the info: it won´t fit campagnolo BB anymore.
Yes the Campy has an iso taper - I’ve inserted a campag crank on a Shimano spindle - it fits but not as correctly as on an ISO taper - so took it off - but how would This ‘convert’ it ? Haven’t tampered with nor changed the inside shaft

If you actually install the crankset on a shimano spindle, it will work since aluminum will compress, deform and adapt to shimano taper.

He beat me to it! :LOL:

Prodigal Son":1fr99v0k said:
ibbz":1fr99v0k said:
Prodigal Son":1fr99v0k said:

That makes sense But I think it would have to be properly installed - tightened and used - for it to have some time to deform.
Thanks - I’ll make sure I remember this as it’s important if I ever do make the decision
How about a JIS crank on an ISO taper ?

27motorhead":2hohcgxa said:

Yep they sure are. Campag were way off the target with Euclid vs. XT which is why they created Centaur which was meant to be more racier and sat between Deore and Deore XT in terms of cost. Campag only really nailed the performance/weight on Record OR.

I love old Campag MTB stuff. Clunky, heavy and not necessarily that elegant, but still kinda attractive/has charm! :LOL:

Regarding the ISO taper onto Shimano spindle - the soft alloy crank vs. hardened steel spindle would mean the taper on the crank would deform once tightened to match that of the shimano BB.

Yes the campag stuff I have is if a very high quality - The pedals won’t be breaking or snapping anytime soon! I think only the pedals are heavy - the cranks seem pretty light. I prefer them in looks to most others I’ve seen! (Graphite ones)
Would Record OR pedals be lighter in weight?

The record OR sure look smaller and lighter

Attachments

• 1BADEBF5-808B-4328-931C-EC8D8F0B8EE5.jpeg
    1BADEBF5-808B-4328-931C-EC8D8F0B8EE5.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 433
  • 06D2E7C6-411E-461D-A4CC-CA794554B76A.jpeg
    06D2E7C6-411E-461D-A4CC-CA794554B76A.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 433

ibbz":2mj64hkb said:
27motorhead":2mj64hkb said:

Yes the campag stuff I have is if a very high quality - The pedals won’t be breaking or snapping anytime soon! I think only the pedals are heavy - the cranks seem pretty light. I prefer them in looks to most others I’ve seen! (Graphite ones)
Would Record OR pedals be lighter in weight?

They'll certainly be lighter. Did a quick Google but found nothing on weight, but visually you can see they've removed a lot of alloy from the body. Pretty sure the cages on Euclid were steel too which would help contribute to the weight.

27motorhead":3jiq5mmv said:

The taper angle is the same for both, however the Campag will only fit halfway onto a Shimano bottom bracket. As such the crank won't deform.
BUT
It certainly does damage if it runs even slightly loose for any time at all - the inner half of the the taper gets mangled rapidly. The crank bolt needs to be very tight.

Fitting Shimano onto Campag taper is better - but the crank may not tighten correctly as the BB taper may poke out at the end.

In short, Campag have thin tapers, Shimano have fat taper.

hamster":3f8ym83l said:
27motorhead":3f8ym83l said:

The taper angle is the same for both, however the Campag will only fit halfway onto a Shimano bottom bracket. As such the crank won't deform.
BUT
It certainly does damage if it runs even slightly loose for any time at all - the inner half of the the taper gets mangled rapidly. The crank bolt needs to be very tight.

Fitting Shimano onto Campag taper is better - but the crank may not tighten correctly as the BB taper may poke out at the end.

In short, Campag have thin tapers, Shimano have fat taper.

Glad I checked in on this thread. There's the answer to my bottom bracket woes on my Trek 8700. I'm running Cook Bros Racing RSR's on a Campagnolo Spindle.
Because of the 140mm length needed to clear the chainstays using these particular cranks, the only option I could find in that length was a Campagnolo one.
All seems to hold together fine with the Stronglight cups, but if I ride anything other than a gentle spin, the cranks are working loose.
If the Cooks cranks are a Shimano size taper? Then the thin Campagnolo taper must be the problem.
I've given up and reverted back to my DX cranks and UN55 bottom bracket.....
The Cooks are most likely going to end up in the FS section....and the parts drawer now has a variety of axle lengths. :roll:

boy"O"boy

Re:

IIRC only Campag and TA made cranks with ISO taper. I wolud wager that Cooks are Shimano.

In terms of chainline a 5mm shorter Shimano crank gives the same chianline as Campag as the crank sits less onto the taper on the fatter Shimano spindle. So a 122.5 or 127.5 BB might be worth a try. Also you could fit the smallest rings, which helps avoid collision with the chianstay.

Back