Campag 9 Speed Cassette Types

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Am I right in thinking that there are two different freehub body patterns of Campag nine speed cassettes? I'm looking for a titanium cassette (eg 13-26t NOS) and want to make sure that I get it right before parting with those big pennies!

Many thanks,

Le Gringo Vintage

There are two types, I've no idea of the years but there's two different types of lock rings, a small & big, on my 1996/7 GIOS I've a 9 speed titanium cassette and that has a small lock ring, not much help though.

Campag also does the lockring in chrome steel or titanium, I've always wanted the titanium version for my GIOS but the last one I saw sold for £98!

There are 2 types, one goes when the small cogg is really small (11 teeth), another when the small cogg is bigger (12 or 13 ). It's just becasue the small lockring is too small to thread on 12 or 13 teeth coog , that have bigger inside diameter

Re:

Thanks for that, chaps. Just so I get this right - if I happened to see for example, a 13-26 cassette for sale, it's going to be a different freehub body that it mates with from, say, a 11-21 cassette??

"In my day" (can't believe I'm sounding like my Dad these days :facepalm: ) we just screwed the freewheel on to the hub and that was that!

No, unless it's a really old cassette it'll fit a current body. As I understand things, once you go to 9 speed and beyond there are two lock ring diameters (11t & 12t+) and two lock ring thread sizes (26mm & 27mm). The 26mm thread was used on the early 9-speed titanium freehub body pre-1999 and then was changed to 27mm for the alloy body. Some Campag compatible freehubs with steel bodies have a different number and pattern of the splines on the body but are compatible with 9 speed sprockets and use the 27mm lock rings.
I've wheel with a 1999-2000 Record Titanium hub (alloy freehub) and another with a recent Novatec hub (steel freehub), both take the same lock ring and despite a marked difference in the number and pattern of the body splines (the steel body has fewer) my sprockets fit both hubs.

Re:

I think all official 9 speed freehub bodies are the same, with the same, and will take 9/10/11 speed cassettes. 8 speed bodies are trickier. Lockring size will depend on smallest sprocket, but there are also two types of thread for these, depending on freehub version so you need the right one. These come with the hubs, not the cassette, so unless you need a different diameter the thread should not be an issue

Early 9 speed freehubs were same pattern as 8 speed and are compatible with 8. Newer 9s is different to 8, but compatible to 9/10/11/12. There is very little old pattern 9 around. IIRC the giveaway is the locating flange - which instead of being a straight rectangular shape on the old 8/9, has one flange on the freehub that is a double step.(i.e. like the bottom 2 steps of a staircase rather than the bottom step alone)

Latest posts

Back