Building the bike nobody wanted. 1991 RidgeRunner.

Thanks for the link, the only things it came with was 2 bolts - 2 rings - cable and a canti-hanger.
I'll find out if the booster isn't optional, if so I also need to source that somewhere.

Can you tell I never had a bike with U Brakes? 🤣

Last edited:
Can you take picture of the bits you got? That might help...as its possible you have kinda hybrid!

If you can get a pair of old style bolts and possibly the boss caps, you could probably do without the booster plate and parts....

The tension is made inside the arm. As you tighten the arm against the frame, it nips tight the spring plate to the base, to the bottom of the boss. The arm then rotates around that tightening the spring as you brake. When you let go the brake the arm moves back on the spring.

Thats why you need to do them up to the correct torque and do them up with the arms fully open....ie pads away from wheel.

They have a fine tune grub screw just like a cantilever to rotate the plate to add / remove tension on one side to balance the springs.

Well I've looked for a while and I can't make any sense of what to buy for the U brake.
All I've seen is BMX bosses, the '91 Zaskars also came with the M733. @d8mok do you have a clue on what I need to buy and where.
Would really like to get the brakes fitted.

I do have a Vitus CL1. It is ready for cantis (seatstays) and U-brake (chainstays). I can select in which fittings I screw the bosses, so I assume there isn't much difference between canti and U-brake bosses. Don't know what thread you need for the RidgeRunner.

I can screw in an old "regular" canti boss in there, which is a regular M9.

Attachments

• M9 Boss.jpg
    M9 Boss.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 6
Its not the thread its the boss size. Also there is no step in a u brake boss....see above picture of my white frame compared to the red above....

If your guy with a u brake rear can measure length and width, you know what to get.

Back