Building my Son his first proper bike for his 13th birthday! Custom paint job incoming…

That'll be a fantastic gift, with way more personality than a new bike off the shelf. I love the ethos of including him in the build, he'll be even more chuffed to own it and ride it because of this. I'd definitely invest in a damn good lock though, and see that he uses it.
Yeah I hope he really likes it which I’m sure he will. Good point about the good lock!
Although I’d rather he not leave it unattended at all haha.

Kyle

The frame has been scotched down again and new down tube decals put on ready for another 2 coats of clear coat tomorrow.

Kyle

Did you sand back completely to bare metal or were there places you left the original paint on? Just wondering how you managed to sand around the cable guide fittings and around the tube joints/welds as I've always found that fiddly and time consuming.

Did you sand back completely to bare metal or were there places you left the original paint on? Just wondering how you managed to sand around the cable guide fittings and around the tube joints/welds as I've always found that fiddly and time consuming.
I just sanded the main parts back and feathered the paint out around the cable guides and hard to reach areas so that there wasn’t a noticeable edge. Then used red scotch on the parts with paint left on.

Hope this helps
Kyle

Thanks for the reply. Looking at some videos on YouTube they're always saying to remove all the old paint as it could affect the new paint (colour bleeding through), so not always the case?

Thanks for the reply. Looking at some videos on YouTube they're always saying to remove all the old paint as it could affect the new paint (colour bleeding through), so not always the case?
I wouldn’t worry about that to be honest. As long as you feather the paint edges so there is no step it shouldn’t be a problem. I just used a ‘wet on wet’ primer that doesn’t need sanding and didn’t have any visible edges where there was old paint still on the frame.

Cheers Kyle

Looks brilliant but not keen on the black stickers
maybe a lighter grey colour or silver

Last edited:
Back