Building my own Geoff Roberts MTB help needed !!

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all :D

I am approaching a huge milestone celebrating my time on this earth, to celebrate this milestone (or millstone) I am going to build by own frame with Geoff Roberts help.

Sadly my days of road-biking are on the decline and the Chas Roberts road bike is just used for special occasions and charity rides. I plan to get the old girl resprayed and ride to Paris this year and then hang her on the wall. So with that in mind I want to build a bike that I will use off road use, family rides and towpaths something which will be the first and last bike I build myself.

I have a Kona Explosif which is fun, harsh and scary but amazing. A modern soulless Giant for when I want to get around with no fuss but also with no fun.

My early plans are something like Mike Muz’s Roberts. Obviously there are lots of things to decide and that’s where I need Retrobikes help/experience/advice.

It must be completely steel and strong

No suspension

Without disc brakes ?

Rack mounts for daily touring

Comfortable

Simple and reliable

26” wheels ?

What I am unsure about is things like wheel size, brakes, gear set up. With future parts availability I want to be able to fix it as needed.

:? :cool:

Re:

Sounds like an 80s Saracen Conquest to me! Or maybe Thorn Sherpa?

26” wheels, 3 x 8 drivetrain, XT M756 hubs laced to a 32 hole v-brake rim would be my suggestion. Disc tabs on the fork and frame and canti bosses I reckon.

SP

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":1nhaqbdy said:
Sounds like an 80s Saracen Conquest to me! Or maybe Thorn Sherpa?

26” wheels, 3 x 8 drivetrain, XT M756 hubs laced to a 32 hole v-brake rim would be my suggestion. Disc tabs on the fork and frame and canti bosses I reckon.

SP

That's the sort of thing, something classic looking.

Re:

I’d have to say disc brake it, makes everything so much easier and will probably be more future proof than cantis.
Make it wide clearance and then I’d build a set of 700c X30 wheels for the road and a set of 650b X 50 for off-road/path use that could be interchanged rather than have a compromise bike.

widowmaker":7exo5bju said:
Hi all :D

I am approaching a huge milestone celebrating my time on this earth, to celebrate this milestone (or millstone) I am going to build by own frame with Geoff Roberts help.

Sadly my days of road-biking are on the decline and the Chas Roberts road bike is just used for special occasions and charity rides. I plan to get the old girl resprayed and ride to Paris this year and then hang her on the wall. So with that in mind I want to build a bike that I will use off road use, family rides and towpaths something which will be the first and last bike I build myself.

I have a Kona Explosif which is fun, harsh and scary but amazing. A modern soulless Giant for when I want to get around with no fuss but also with no fun.

My early plans are something like Mike Muz’s Roberts. Obviously there are lots of things to decide and that’s where I need Retrobikes help/experience/advice.

It must be completely steel and strong

No suspension

Without disc brakes ?

Rack mounts for daily touring

Comfortable

Simple and reliable

26” wheels ?

What I am unsure about is things like wheel size, brakes, gear set up. With future parts availability I want to be able to fix it as needed.

:? :cool:

Good to hear,

Geoff's certainly the man to build you exactly what you need/want.

Cheers, Jon.

P.S why not try hub brakes and even a hub gear - based on your remarks ?

Re: Re:

pete_mcc":1kdg9tks said:
I’d have to say disc brake it, makes everything so much easier and will probably be more future proof than cantis.
Make it wide clearance and then I’d build a set of 700c X30 wheels for the road and a set of 650b X 50 for off-road/path use that could be interchanged rather than have a compromise bike.

Was a little wary of disc brakes, didn't want to be touring and suffer from mechanical issue. I haven't had much luck with hydraulic disc brakes on my MTB's.

Not aesthetically the best but like v brakes, simple like me :D

Looking forward to this Ed....
ps, regarding your MM19 purchace, I've just got my hands on a box so will sort it this weekend. :roll: :cool:

Peachy!":3s2ln30j said:
Looking forward to this Ed....
ps, regarding your MM19 purchace, I've just got my hands on a box so will sort it this weekend. :roll: :cool:

I am looking forward to it too, although my head hurts already deciding what to build. It the only frame I am going to build so want to make it count :D

And regarding MM19 purchase, no rush :cool:

Back