Bring out your multitools....!!!

The Curse of NOS - I assume there must have been a thread on this at some point, or indeed many times?....

Seems like there would've been but I don't remember it

This is what I take. Nothing fancy and quite heavy but it all fits in a Muc-off tool bottle which can be easily transferred between bikes. I also have a spare innertube and a minipump strapped to the frame. One day I'll replace the multitools with something nicer that weighs a whole lot less!

The left multitool was a couple of quid from PlanetX and the Leatherman type thing was freebie from a Petrol station about 15 years ago. I think the chain tool is about 30 years old 🙂

tools.jpg

....and of course 'bought sometime in the 90s...' ....The Alien ...

And all this raises the important question of 'what makes a multitool a multitool?' ... a deep existential question which I will look at shortly ....

A tool which combines a number of single function tools in to one object. E.g. allens, driver, spanner, splitter. Or knife,pliers, driver, scissors.

Ah HA! It could be. As you say ... '..single function tools in to one object...' which is one possible definition. Or it could be a tool which has a number of things which have a number of functions - e.g. those tools where a single piece does more than one thing..oooooh....deep discussion. Just what is 'multi' about the parts or the whole?

I thought you may quibble around the single object part but i was wrong. 😁
I'd consider multi to mean more than one rahter than sum of parts. I seek the light, i feel the need to find a guru on a hilltop somewhere.

And I have just remembered this. As a youngster this absolutely was what I carried with me...it was both my portable tool and the tool I used to repair my bike. Ubiquitious in the 60's...:

DSCF2907.jpg

Back