Brighton Big Dog, August 13th, AFTERMATH ! !

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Yesterday's race.

The day started off well, with my team mate bringing goodies . Cheers buddy ;)

IMG_0467 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Swiftly followed by some familiar Herbert,

IMG_0466 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Proudly displaying his boike, with a 50 tooth SPROCKET! :shock:

IMG_0465 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Bless! :LOL: :LOL:
Kinda worried now, I only had a 28! :LOL:

Setting up, Pipmeister joined us, and wound up in a Kona fanfest with Splatter Paint! Briefly saw Bobcatmax and KleinmadChris before the start too, which was nice.

IMG_0468 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Nice to see you, fella ;)

Start/finish area, before the madness began!

IMG_0469 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

In the retro pairs (pre-'95 category), there were sadly only four pairs competing. :facepalm:

The weather beforehand was dry thankfully, as the course is extremely rooty! So would have made for a nervous race had it been wet.
It was a fantastic course, around 40mins/lap, with lots of climbing, technical downhill sections, and over a couple of bridges, which made be a bit nervous :oops:

We came in second, having had a puncture that set us back over 7 minutes. Bloody Panaracers! :roll:
We did manage to claw back over four minutes of this, but ran out of race to catch the first team.
It was a great day's riding, with a good mate, and with fantastic weather to boot! :cool:

All too soon, it was time to pack up again . . .

IMG_0471 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

. . . pick up our prizes and step up to the podium. There's always a generous prize list !

And watch national solo champion, Ben Thomas, take the Big Dog title once again.

IMG_0472 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

11 laps, to our 8. Incredible. I didn't see him overtake at all when I was racing. Perhaps he took short cuts! :LOL: :LOL:

We may have been number 851,

IMG_0474 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

But we were no Ducati Superbike, SuperMIKE maybe :LOL: But, we did beat 853, so some satisfaction was gained.

Look forward to seeing the official result and lap times along with photos of the race.

Mike

Re:

Looks brilliant, wish I could have been there. I heard it was a tough course. Mike, our neighbour at Mayhem was there, she came 4th!

Re: Re:

andyz":nnj48e05 said:
Looks brilliant, wish I could have been there. I heard it was a tough course. Mike, our neighbour at Mayhem was there, she came 4th!

Hi Andy,

It had a lot of climbing,which I enjoyed. Lots' of granny ring use! :LOL:

Had a nice chat with both of the Mayhem girls at the start. She wasn't enjoying it! But her efforts were rewarded.

Steve, can't remember his name on here :facepalm: also rode solo, on his Klein rigid bike. Has done for several years now

Mike

bat40a I think is his name on here, he managed 8 laps on his own. he keeps telling me he's getting slower (!)

Ah so it was you nearby (I was on my '93 Marin Team issue) I did wonder if the Scott and DB ti owners were on here!

BobCatMax":gtbb7ofx said:
bat40a I think is his name on here, he managed 8 laps on his own. he keeps telling me he's getting slower (!)

Thanks mate, I had a chat with him afterwards, I remembered the bat but not the numbers! :facepalm: :LOL: I'll pm him next time we arrange a ride in the area.

shawnb":gtbb7ofx said:
Ah so it was you nearby (I was on my '93 Marin Team issue) I did wonder if the Scott and DB ti owners were on here!

Should have said hello! Kept seeing that lovely shiny Marin! :cool:

How did you do?

Mike

Mike Muz 67":3iir0hoe said:
BobCatMax":3iir0hoe said:

Thanks mate, I had a chat with him afterwards, I remembered the bat but not the numbers! :facepalm: :LOL: I'll pm him next time we arrange a ride in the area.

shawnb":3iir0hoe said:

Should have said hello! Kept seeing that lovely shiny Marin! :cool:

How did you do?

Mike

I'm a bit shy :LOL:

We did OK kept a steady 40-45 minute laps, my mate was riding a £5k yeti hard tail and loved it. I tried to get him to use one of my bikes so we could do the retro category but he was having none of it. Haven't checked our times or places yet not sure they're up yet?

Re:

Not looked today mate, the times weren't up yesterday. Should see some good photos too, at some point. Takes a bit of searching though!
Was a smashing day !

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2ema39v1 said:
Not looked today mate, the times weren't up yesterday. Should see some good photos too, at some point. Takes a bit of searching though!
Was a smashing day !

I live 5 minutes away and never heard of it until this spring :oops:
Absolutely loved it although the course was pretty tough. A few friends popped along throughout the day and enjoyed it too :cool:

Back