Breezer number one

toons

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Source

Many riders have legitimate claim to being the first mountain bikers, but Joe Breeze gets the nod for making the first purpose-built mountain bike. Breezer number one was being ushered into the expo area and we got some pictures of the beautifully restored machine that launched the sport. You don't have to be a vintage bike geek to appreciate the opportunity to see and touch such a relevant piece of history.

p4pb7143182.jpg

Breezer number one uses twin lateral frame members in the hope that the extra tubes would extend its life on the local trails and downhill races north of San Francisco, California. The frame was crafted from chromoly tubes brazed together.

Cool bike. A few errors in Pinkbikes write up though. Those grips are Preston Petty BMX grips and the bars are GSM motorcycle trials bars. Freewheels were six speed Shimano 600 not 5 speed as stated.
A few later additions to that bike too. The Mafacs replaced the original Dia Compe cantis and it originally wore chromed steel Ukai rims instead of those lovely Arayas.

What's crazy, is that (including Mr.Breeze) there are two Retrobike members who own these bikes! Everybody's sig list pales in compariosn to Repack Rider's.

Still think that it's one of the most distinctive and beautiful bikes I've ever seen. Just looks so purposeful and racey. My life plan has recently changed to, 'learn how to frame build at some point in the next ten years' and then, 'make me one of those'. :)

petitpal":298j6tux said:
Still think that it's one of the most distinctive and beautiful bikes I've ever seen. Just looks so purposeful and racey. My life plan has recently changed to, 'learn how to frame build at some point in the next ten years' and then, 'make me one of those'. :)

Someone (in Germany?) did produce a very nice replica recently.

@ Rod; who is it? Charlie Cunningham?

Actually, a little while before JB built his first frame, CK ordered the first custom MTB frame from another local Fairfax guy, my friend Craig Mitchell, who has, sadly, passed away. Anyway, he built the frame for CK, but Charlie didn't like the way it handled, so he sold it back to Craig and the last I heard of it was in Australia. There is a pic. of it on CK's web site.

Rod_Saetan":1z6hf3oe said:
More than that actually...
If you're going to count Series II's and III's.

mechagouki":1z6hf3oe said:
@ Rod; who is it? Charlie Cunningham?
CC (who isn't here) has never owned a Breezer. His wife Jacquie has a mid-90's Breezer that has a few Charlie tweaks to it.

Back