Bottom bracket tool advice needed

Markybeau

Gold Trader
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I have to change a bottom bracket on a C16r. It currently has a Hollowtech with an XT crankset. I am hoping to go back to a square taper - un72 - with an older crankset with shorter arms - hence the change.

Will I need two different tools to change the Bb's?

If so, what do people recommend? I don't want to waste money on something I'm not likely to use very often, if again.

I've changed cranks, but not a bb before.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Re:

Basically, yes. You’ll need a Hollowtech II outboard cup spanner/tool and a standard Shimano pattern splined internal cup tool. Easily available at least.

It's the XTR bottom bracket tool, they also do things like the lockring on Middleburn cranks. Mine fits a socket set. Easiest is to get your local bike shop to do it, by the time you factor the £20 for two tools.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lif ... rAQAvD_BwE

I've used the Park stamped tool for FAG and Campag bottom brackets. It's cheap and nasty but does the job with care. I wouldn't want to use one on a really stuck bottom bracket.

Re:

Are Park tools not all that? I've got an old pocket tool of theirs that rusts really quickly but not used anything else.

Re: Re:

Markybeau":2hk96eqv said:
Are Park tools not all that? I've got an old pocket tool of theirs that rusts really quickly but not used anything else.

Park are good, I'm just not sure they're THAT much better than the rest to warrant their prices, imo.
My bike tools are a mixture of Park, Icetoolz, BBB, X-Tools etc
If you think you might need the tool again in your lifetime then it's probably worth investing in tools.
And yes, you'll need 2 different tools, one for each standard of Bottom bracket.

Latest posts

Back