BotM October 2020 - Nominations thread

Re:

Mmmmm.

DX seatpost practically unobtainable in 31.6 and only ever in silver finish which is effectively as random or inaccurate as the WCS....because the Original spec seatpost was black.

NOTE - an Observation for you long standing members from a newbie (to the forum not pre 1997 mtb hardware) Funny how I haven’t been here (on retrobike) long but the overriding feeling is that folks can’t wait to tell you which bits are ‘wrong’, what Should be changed, reconsidered or could be better (treating newcomers like amateurs- not just my experience...I’ve read the comments on other owners pride and joy’s down to the orientation of a decal that’s been clearly on the machine for over two decades ?!?!?)

Focus on the positives...or you aren’t gonna keep newcomers for long.
I’m pretty bored of it already....and your subjective ‘expertise’ can come across as you just being a bit of a throbber.

Remember, you almost certainly aren’t the only one who knows what you know.

Re: Re:

3onner":2nlcxdea said:
Mmmmm.

DX seatpost practically unobtainable in 31.6 and only ever in silver finish which is effectively as random or inaccurate as the WCS....because the Original spec seatpost was black.

NOTE - an Observation for you long standing members from a newbie (to the forum not pre 1997 mtb hardware) Funny how I haven’t been here (on retrobike) long but the overriding feeling is that folks can’t wait to tell you which bits are ‘wrong’, what Should be changed, reconsidered or could be better (treating newcomers like amateurs- not just my experience...I’ve read the comments on other owners pride and joy’s down to the orientation of a decal that’s been clearly on the machine for over two decades ?!?!?)

Focus on the positives...or you aren’t gonna keep newcomers for long.
I’m pretty bored of it already....and your subjective ‘expertise’ can come across as you just being a bit of a throbber.

Remember, you almost certainly aren’t the only one who knows what you know.

I agree for 99% on what you say. The 1% disagreement is that this is the BOTM thread. The whole idea of this competition is "judgement". Voting is judging in a certain way, isn't it?

Wim

WimVDD":fu1tpuqg said:
I agree for 99% on what you say. The 1% disagreement is that this is the BOTM thread. The whole idea of this competition is "judgement". Voting is judging in a certain way, isn't it?

Wim

And I agree with that 100%.....

I’m sure it even says something in the rules/guidance about it....

Most of the time I find if you’ve got involved and created a proper build thread a lot of this gets discussed and ironed out...

As they say, if you’re gonna stick your head above the parapet!

Re:

I hear you. Appreciate the debate.

(Although the judgement police are pretty game in the readers bikes section too - where it’s it’s not a formal “judging” space.

Hey - listen we are all free to be here or not...just sharing my observation and a newcomers perspective. And if I don’t like it I know what I can do with my opinion ;)

Good luck with your BOTM entries - (probably fair to say I ain’t got a hope now I spoke out from the parapet!) :LOL:

3onner":3eltrhj3 said:

(Although the judgement police are pretty game in the readers bikes section too - where it’s it’s not a formal “judging” space.

Hey - listen we are all free to be here or not...just sharing my observation and a newcomers perspective. And if I don’t like it I know what I can do with my opinion ;)

Good luck with your BOTM entries - (probably fair to say I ain’t got a hope now I spoke out from the parapet!) :LOL:

With a more era correct seatpost it would be on top of my list. :D

3onner":35d93pq1 said:

Nah, many assume that comments like the one about the seatpost are meant in a nasty way - it's generally quite the opposite, and you'll find those making the comment will be your biggest ally. Some members here are somewhat... blunt... can't change that and again, their intentions are good.

You've gone to a LOT of effort on your Alpinestars, it's lovely, but the aesthetic is ruined by the modern seatpost *IMO*. If you like it, then what does my opinion matter? If you can't find a retro one, can you remove the decals on this one?

One last thing, don't assume that these comments are only aimed at people new to the forum - it's not. This forum has one of the strongest 'brotherhood' ethics I've seen.

Either way, lovely bike.

And I stand by my comment about the fork decal on the Yates too! I appreciate it’s been there for 20+ years and is part of the fork’s history and that’s why Tom has left it in place. Doesn’t take away from the fact that 20+ years ago someone put it on the wrong way around (in my opinion) :LOL:

I agree that the Alpinestars is a real stunner, though the seatpost does detract a little. A bit of an awkward size to find something period correct in perhaps?

My_Teenage_Self":3c7k6pn7 said:
I feel the pain - had to source a 31.6 for my San Andreas!

Its frustrating not being able to source whats needed, some wait years to complete a build, some suffer OCD too, i know of one member who waited for years to source an odd sized Mavic Seatpost, found one in the third world NOS and fed the entire family for a month with the £500 he paid for it.

Some just slap it together and that will do, it takes all sorts and no two people are the same.

My self i have one particular bike, thats been shown here, built and rebuilt about six times and its still not right in my eyes. And a member new or old, experienced or not, there is always a better expert on a forum, if the comments hurt, a forum isnt the place for you, Let alone a competition thread.

Back