BotM February 2020 nominations - Blue Collar Special

Re: Re:

Once A Hero":3n8ypnfr said:
This has the potential to be a big field of entries this month, surely everyone has a valid bike to enter?!
I have too many blue collar bikes to choose from! Pro-flex? Trek? Cadex? Stumpjumpers?.... :roll: :facepalm:

.....errrh. No. I probably speak for a few out there, "Blue Collar" stuff got upgraded with XT, then utterly battered on the daily commute, then broken bits got replaced with Alivio.

Eitherway, enjoying this special theme and the associated debates.

Woz":j1511w5p said:
Once A Hero":j1511w5p said:
This has the potential to be a big field of entries this month, surely everyone has a valid bike to enter?!
I have too many blue collar bikes to choose from! Pro-flex? Trek? Cadex? Stumpjumpers?.... :roll: :facepalm:

.....errrh. No. I probably speak for a few out there, "Blue Collar" stuff got upgraded with XT, then utterly battered on the daily commute, then broken bits got replaced with Alivio.

Ah I see, in that case I would class my rode bike as my only blue collar ride - as I used to ride it to building sites when I worked as a labourer, so it didn't receive much love. That said, it's a 531 frameset from an independent frame builder, with a full 105 groupset (knackered), buckled mavic rims, a random Suntour front mech, err.. and a Campag headset...so may still be too white collar after all :shock:. Oh and its a road bike obvs :roll:.

I look forward to seeing what to choose from when it's time to vote :cool:

Woz":16rkwf3x said:
Once A Hero":16rkwf3x said:

Agreed, except our mid range commuters always got the Deore/XT for drivetrain reliability. 90% of our bike sales in the late 80s/early 90s were blue collar bikes £300-350. Its great that ‘blue collar’ demographics have the most expensive bikes these days. Your average Toff, we had plenty, would not spend big on bikes in those days.

Enjoying this month so far, I do wonder why we have these debates about what's allowed.

Just remember it is up to the voters to decide which bike fits the criteria and is the best of that bunch. Someone can enter a C26 but it won't be getting my vote!

So - I'll take my chances on this being inside the definition of the competition this month.

Haalands 1983 Olsen trials.

Made by John Olsen, the man that helped Cannondale make their first mtb - the SM500. This is specifically made for getting around in the rough parts of the terrain. Hence the tall bb and the 24" rear.

Made out of what John had around that could take a beating. Milled down moto bars, some box parts and parts that is basically Campy knock offs. Finished in the most blue collar colour that is - the "Ford engine blue". Some parts that is sought after today (the Oakley 3 grips, Mitsoboshi Comp 3 tires), but that wasn't especially expensive back in the days.

Blue collar? I think so

49492830478_69fe1fd15e_z.jpg

49492830538_2155a8365d_z.jpg

I hear Tha Donald stated he has evoked a Blue Collar Boom single handedly, so I'm expecting him to contribute to this month's competition too, one way or the other..

The History Man":2pa2q7eb said:
So a hand built one off is now blue collar.

Here we go.

The definition of "blue collar" is traditionally a person that is doing manual labour. As far as I know there is nothing in the definition that says bad, low skills, not good. If the bike is hand built using simpler metals - why not? The ultimate blue collar bikes is imho the earliest Breezers, the clunkers, the Ritcheys.

White collar? the fancy painted Kleins, the over-blinged Yetis. At least that is how I see this.

Back