BOTM Aug2012- British Special- Vote now.

Who has the best of British?

• videojetman- Dynatech

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nevadasmith- Bigfoot Smokestone

• makster-1990 Overbury's Pioneer

• biglev-Roberts Peugeot

• dendy-Saracen Kili Comp 96

• Rob Aitken- Dave Lloyd

• legrandefromage-Harry Quinn

• firedfromthecircus-Cleland Aventura number 5

• mrlee-1985 Dawes cougar

• Giom6-Zinn Z-classic

• Easy_Rider-'94 Dawes Special Edition

• Dawes-Man-Dawes "The Edge eXTRa"

• H-Fuquay

• danson67-1985 Highpath

• reanimation-'94 Prestige

• NeilM-1990 Roberts White Spider

• Paul Eggleton-Pace

• ShiftySteve-91 Aluminium O

• JeRky-Chas Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X

• Mr Panda-1995 Orange P7

• mikee-Pace

• sinnerman-Hardisty/Nike

• terryhfs-m-trax

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
tvcreative":2kt5euff said:
Please...you're kidding me with the Cleland Schmeland crapola

we are all dumber after reading that long winded, America vs England burst of air...

My bike floats in the bogs, and pedals by itself on Tralfamador and Remulak

I congratuate you on brevity.
Regrettably, your concise argument does lack reference to certain elements essential to reasoned discussion; intellect and experience.
You probably have both these qualities; it is generally advisable to set these out prior to dismissing a reasonably well-put polemic.
Without these elements in your contribution, you risk being guilty of spouting hot air yourself and being disregarded by those you wish to influence.
So, tvcreative, please give us more information about your bicycle design skills, and experience of riding Cleland style bicycles, so that others can give your views the consideration they deserve.

Couple of glitches here with the poll.

Now back up with a couple of days left.

Cleland? I'm so glad I got a rise out of you blokes.

Next you'll tell me that a DL-1 with knobbies is the best racing bike ever made...

There is no mythical bike, just variant degrees ride and of taste...I have owned hundreds of bikes, thinking each was better than the one before using some biased made up criteria for justification...

I am not really sure how you get a scaffold of a bike to roll properly down narrow singletrack or better yet, when you are looking to get a hole shot - in a race - how you can sprint out of it with bars that high....

please what does it weigh? 3 stones?

tvcreative":2elkf2d2 said:

Next you'll tell me that a DL-1 with knobbies is the best racing bike ever made...

There is no mythical bike, just variant degrees ride and of taste...I have owned hundreds of bikes, thinking each was better than the one before using some biased made up criteria for justification...

I am not really sure how you get a scaffold of a bike to roll properly down narrow singletrack or better yet, when you are looking to get a hole shot - in a race - how you can sprint out of it with bars that high....

You've missed the point entirely.

(note: This phrase is about to appear again in a similar context)

tvcreative":drxkqekg said:

You certainly stimulated some heartfelt responses.
Sorry to be so ignorant; I don't know what a DL-1 is, and racing for me is not very interesting.

You are so right about there being hundreds of bikes, marketed by people whose primary intent is to make money out of riders who believe that each variant is a major improvement over the previous one. You could call it design evolution, or you could ask yourself:
"If the last bike was so fantastically brilliant, why has it just been redesigned?". It's worth noting that the Cleland design hasn't changed in esscence for over 30 years, and I spent about 20 years of design development previously to get to that point. You could consider the Cleland 'mythical'; there are possibly no more than 50 extant worldwide.

The millions who have not ridden a Cleland do, quite reasonably, wonder how the hell it can ride so well. Recently a rider who discovered just this, could only say "It's ridiculous!"; he couldn't marry the appearance of a Cleland with its performance.

However, the Cleland is not designed with speed in mind. The primary design factors are efficiency and reliability. All I can say is that, for me, it handles singletrack much better than a conventional mountain bike, if it didn't, I'd have abandoned the whole project years ago. Who knows how a Cleland would perform in a race, no-one's tried it yet. Perhaps you should get a ride on my one sometime to assess the possibilities, or not...

My AventuraTT weighs about 40lb; because I will not compromise on the design principles of reliability and efficiency, weight considerations have to be put to one side. Weight is not inherent in the design; getting weight down requires a significant budget, and I presently live on pension credits.

I must apologise for wandering way off topic, Cleland's are so good at rambling...

I meet a lot of riders out on the trails who huff and puff to get by as I am blocking their way on my old tat. Thing is, they've done about 5 miles of 'grrr' where they jump out of their car with the latest 'grrr' bike, shout 'grrr' at all within earshot to announce their arrival and the fact that they have the latest 'grrr. They then proceed to make loud 'grrr' noises as they strap themselves up with the latest 'grrr' padding and <snigger> 'technology' so they can appear to be 'ooh look at him with all the gear, bet he's an expert'.

Then sometimes in packs, the 'grrr' riders are off, shouting at anyone in their way. Woe betide anyone who is unfortunate enough to get in their way...The innocent can often be met with a loud expletive followed by a 'what a load of crap' referring to whatever the non 'grrr' cyclist dares to allow out into the daylight. The 'grrr' rider then huffs and puffs off into the distance checking their position on their GPS and adjusting the suspension settings for the terrain...

I'll roll up, check my sandwiches are ok, check my tyres are still up and off I go. I'll hear the huff and puffer crashing through the undergrowth muttering about why I'm in his way and why am I out on such a piece of old tat and let him by. I'll check the bike out as the 'grrr' goes by and let out a slight cough as I eat his dust.

I'll often see 'grrr' again on the day, stopping to adjust this and that and repair a puncture. I'll trundle by, probably still in the same gear too as its comfortable for the distance I've been out for that day, maybe mile 30 by then, considering a pub stop or shop stop on way. There'll be no comment, maybe a glance over but no real acknowledgement of my existence. 'grrr' has fixed his bike and as huffed and puffed back to the car, shouted one last 'grrr' to all within earshot and sped off, traction control spoiling the intended wheelspin...

Tvcreative - are you that 'grr' rider? Has something in the past pissed you off so much?

Back