Boost chainset set-up help..please

Retro JB

Devout Dirtbag
Hi, I'm installing...
- Hope BB 30mm with 73mm shell
- Hope Spiderlless Crank with a Boost chainring as I have a Boost frame (148mm rear hub)

The BB instructions say to use a spacer for a 73mm shell, but the chainline seems a little off. Anyone got an advice or experience of this?, Are the BB instructions for non-boost only? Was going to contact hope tomorrow, but working on it tonight so could do with some support from the forum if possible please. Thanks.

Re:

Does it specify if the B.B. is 68/73 with the use of a spacer? If it needs a spacer for the correct B.B. fitment but is throwing the chain line out maybe try it on the non drive side?

Re: Re:

d8mok":6wsd8qka said:
Does it specify if the B.B. is 68/73 with the use of a spacer? If it needs a spacer for the correct B.B. fitment but is throwing the chain line out maybe try it on the non drive side?

Hope instructions say that the spacer is required for 73, but not for 68 and 83. It also says fit to the drive side. I've just tried it without the spacer and it made it worse. Now heading to getting a beer from the fridge :-(

Re:

So surely if without the spacer the chain line is worse then it needs fitting as per the instructions.

What frame and crankset are you working with?

d8mok":30bfpbgn said:
So surely if without the spacer the chain line is worse then it needs fitting as per the instructions.
Agreed

d8mok":30bfpbgn said:
What frame and crankset are you working with?
SC 5010 and Hope Spiderless, well one day when it works.

Re:

Might be completely wrong but are you sure it’s a boost frame ? I know the latest model ones boost but earlier ones weren’t. It’s not a old stock one or anything ?

My old Bronson had 73mm B.B. and had a spacer fitted on drive side. It was a non boost bike. Boost only makes 3 mm difference so I’ve know some folk run it with standard chainring as long as it clears the chainstay.

d8mok":yp0kztm0 said:
Might be completely wrong but are you sure it’s a boost frame ? I know the latest model ones boost but earlier ones weren’t. It’s not a old stock one or anything ?

My old Bronson had 73mm B.B. and had a spacer fitted on drive side. It was a non boost bike. Boost only makes 3 mm difference so I’ve know some folk run it with standard chainring as long as it clears the chainstay.

Mk 2 version. Think I have solved the problem, but only a test ride will tell. I removed the chain for what seemed the 10th time, and took a link out which seems to have solved it - I think there was not enough tension. Chain line still slightly favours gear 6 than 5 out of 11, but that may just be my dodgy eyes... Thanks d8mok for the assistance, much appreciated. I'll upload a couple of photos and summary if it works in case it helps others.

Back