Bontrager Switchblade Fork Question?

Retro_Roy

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
hi all
any one here have a bontrager switchblade fork with curved blades?
or any pictures of one. or literature. anything? just how rare is this?
i saw one today. looked really cool. was on a bike for sale. someone beat me to it. :cry:
i didn't have my camera with me. wished i could have at least got a picture to post.
roy

they aren't called switchblades

there are a few different versions of the curved blade fork, they pop up rarely

forksss004.jpg

and the cyclocross version. not many variations of these
switchblade001.jpg

hi
thanks for the info. is that a picture of your collection? any chance the curved one one the end is for sale? i love forks. :)
regards
roy

Retro_Roy":367rss9z said:
hi
thanks for the info. is that a picture of your collection? any chance the curved one one the end is for sale? i love forks. :)
regards
roy

yeah, they're mine. there's a few different bonded comps missing from the pics though, and still a few other variations before I can call it a complete collection..

the curved ones in my collection started life on this, a bike that should be familiar to all of my north of the border friends. I was only able to get my hands on it because the frame finally died
OffRoadToad001.jpg

I've been on the long hunt to find a suitable frame to put em on for a while now..

hi
this makes for an interesting coincidence. bike sporting this fork was a mid 80's rocky mountain emblazened with mountain & beach decals on top tube instead of a model name. was for sale at a swap meet. as luck would have it rod kirkham was selling bits at table next to the guy. :cool:
if you know of ort then both these names will be familiar. he didn't remember the bike. surprise!!!! 25+ years later. but said it was probably a custom order for a client. was decked out all in suntour with roller cam brake mounted under the chainstay and this lovely fork. sigh. rod said it was a custom paint job. light to dark grey fade from front to back.
roy

Re:

hollister":2wdn6nmd said:
they aren't called switchblades

there are a few different versions of the curved blade fork, they pop up rarely

forksss004.jpg

Hi, the type third from the right, with the inserts at the bottom of straight blades - do these have a name?

I've got a set (in chrome) and am trying to get as much info on them as I can! :D

Bontrager Competition - or at least that's what mine was called (also with chrome legs) when I bought it circa 1990.

Back