Sold Bontrager Race - first of the Cannery frames AND MEDIUM....

Re:

Right - quick trip across the garden in the dark and snow ... a rummage amongst the boxes and voila! An early Bontrager frame.
Spiders were a bit fed up with the bright light...

Well here are the numbers - perhaps this makes it a medium? I don't think so, since I am 5-7 and it fitted well.

Centre bottom bracket to centre of top tube (bb-tt centre) = 15 inches
Centre bottom bracket to top of tube tube (bb-tt top) = 17 inches
Actual top tube length centre head tube to centre seat tube (actual tt) = 54cm
Horizontal top tube centre head tube to centre seat post (virtual tt) = 56cm

Gosh it's a lovely thing. So light and strong. As Keith B said '...you have two of 'light, strong and cheap' but you can't have all three...

See what you think....

Re: Bontrager Race - first of the Cannery frames

That's definitely a medium

bontrager-frame-geometry.jpg

Re:

Thank you, 2MO, and for your message... unfortunately I think this is going to be just a little too big, so I will pass and hope that someone else can enjoy it. GLWS!! ;)

Re:

Thanks for letting me know Kaz….keep safe in these weird times...

And thanks indeed for info re sizing. Always seen this as a SMALL since I am 5-7 and it fitted nicely....but looking at charts is indeed a MEDIUM by all accounts...many thanks for correction after all these years....

I've just put it against the 26er Ti Stanton Slackline 2016 - and interestingly rather close in geometry...only thing is the lower front end - ie stick some 160mm front forks on the Bontrager and you would have a rather unusually high BB....

But handling the frame again makes me remember what a thing of beauty it is --- gussets galore, light as a light thing and its spirit lives on in the COTIC SOULS we have....

I’m guessing the measurements changed at some point. Mine, which I think is a 91, measure 14” c-c on the seat tube

Re:

Raidan - arrgh had to go and measure again....so obsessive...definitely 15 inches centreBB to centreTT.

Gosh, as we know, what a difference a half inch can make re how a bike is...I think people find it difficult to get their heads round geometry since everything is SO inter-dependent...push the stem out 10cm and you shift the c of g massively, raise the front end by a tiny bit and you shift the bb height, speed of steering, etc etc

Out of interest, what height are you on your Bontrager and are you running an inline post (this had an IRD in it) and what length stem (this was 120mm).

Thanks...

OK - am contemplating eye watering Commencal purchase for the Grom....still have this and could do with selling to fund his build.....

Back