Bombers

Mikey08":hquvsy06 said:
Just picked up what I think are some 2003 MX comps (internal rebound adjustment, dual air springs, alloy stanchions, big hole in each crown). The decals are missing so I cant be 100% sure.

- One valve/topcap cover is missing. Any idea where I can get one?

- Also the topcap valve cover is recessed into the crown so im baffled how I get the thing off. There is no room for a socket or spanner?

Can you show us a picture please? I have some caps from Marzocchi forks left.

Re:

Here you go. Ignore the dirt they still need a clean!

As you can see there's no room to get a tool in to remove dust cap?

Ive no idea if they even hold air and not sure of the condition of the stanchions and bushings either. They were very cheap...

Attachments

• Photo0385.jpg
    Photo0385.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 487
Re:

Plastic black dust cap should just unscrew.

Metal hex under that should be removable with a adjustable wrench or shaved down socket.

Mikey08":1txognrr said:
Just picked up what I think are some 2003 MX comps (internal rebound adjustment, dual air springs, alloy stanchions, big hole in each crown). The decals are missing so I cant be 100% sure.

- One valve/topcap cover is missing. Any idea where I can get one?

- Also the topcap valve cover is recessed into the crown so im baffled how I get the thing off. There is no room for a socket or spanner?

- The forks move up and down but have a kind of crunchy gritty feeling. Im hoping thats just bad oil passing through the shim stacks as I can hear a fluid squelching sound. It could mean dead stanchions though. Any thoughts?

- Im putting these on a bike for my kid so should I use 5wt oil instead to allow for the lighter rider?

Cheers.

I don't know the forks but can get the manuals. http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/

is it the one where there is a tiny hole.in the adjuster ? if so you need the adaptor for it.

or if it a normal car valve they're normally easy enough with fingers or needle pliers (or socket head).

I'd personally try the largest air chamber they allow and drop the oil weight as you say. see how that goes.

there may be other changes internally you can make to (not just the adjustments but the negative springs etc.... may be more trouble than it's worth though).

Thanks guys. I had good look at those links and Im fairly sure its 03 or 04 MX COMP AIR, from what I can tell both years were the same. The rebound adjust is done internally by removing the top caps (after air has been released) and inserting a long allen key by the looks of it. I'll know for sure once I open them up.

EDIT: Got the black cap off by hand, just a plastic cap/cover as eshew mentioned. The fork came off a 2001 Kona Nunu which according to the archive on classickona.com originally came with a Rockshox Jett. (the frame will be up in the for sale section soon)

Jullyo":1ofugzdd said:
Hi guys, I just stumbled upon that thread.

I do have a pair of NOS bushings for the old Bombers if somebody needs it.
I bought it on ebay 2 years ago for my beloved Z1 but they're retired for now and hanging on the wall, and still have good bushings anyway.
I think I paid 30 pounds for them, from a guy in England. However, I'm in Canada, shipping should be around 20 CAD to send them back to England.

I had a few of these forks along the years and some had some play in the bushing, and would annoyingly rattle when applying the front brake.
I found that replacing the bushings would not always solve the problem, as if the lowers had worn where the bushings sit. Or maybe they were bored with too big tolerances in the first place, I don't know as I got all of them second hand.
Anyway, I solved the problem by using thin aluminium shims between the lowers and bushings, and they were tight as new. Obviously it takes some trial and errors to get the right fit without specialty tools, like trying different shim stock (or different soda cans...) , or using it on just half the circumference of the bushing. It's not uncommon practice on motorcycle forks. In the case of the Bombers, just be sure to create a lip at the top of the shim (same as the bushings) so it stays put.

Thanks, I have managed to source some new bushings through a member on here. I have been thinking that a very thin shim maybe the way to tighten the forks up. Glad someone else has had the same thought as me!

Somebody interested in this unused brake cable holder?

I am the first owner, came with my Bomber Z1

So, ummmm, some of the play was a loose rear disc brake that translated to the forks wobbling when I rocked the bike LOL

After tightening it, there was little play with the forks fully assembled. Got some new bushings on the way, so a rebuild will happen.

Back