Bolts & Screws & Things

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
Sorry if this info is easily accessible, or extensively covered, elsewhere on here, but...

Where do people go when they need, say, replacement bolts for their seatpost saddle clamp, and, say, they want those bolts to be nice, and maybe even anodized?

Or maybe their stem bolts are old and tarnished and a refresh might be nice...

Is there a one-stop shop online for this sort of stuff?

How about things like, nice, generic, chainring or crank bolts; replacement derailleur screws and bolts; bar end plugs and valve caps?

I'm sure plenty of people on here have stuff like this stashed away and rarely need to buy them, but what about those of us that don't and do?

Any hints and tips and links would be greatly appreciated.

Picking up individual bits and bobs on eBay is killing me with the shipping fees! Would love to combine a few things in one order; don't want anything too fancy, just want options!

Stem bolts can be a particular problem as they are often M7, a really uncommon size.
I have bought 8.8 or 12.9 grade bolts from a fastenings supplier and then had to grind the head down to a smaller diameter to fit (put in a drill and then run against a rotating grinding wheel).

Ive always found sjs ( st johns street cycles) to be good for all types of odds and sods.

Just be careful with " triple chainring bolts" these wont be long enough for m730 or mt60 chainsets as granny bolts. They do sell extra lenght bolts, these seem ok.

Re:

There are quite a few options on eBay/Amazon. As stated above, as long as you know what size your after you will be fine.

Re:

Thanks for the replies all!

Some good info here, and will definitely check out all the various links and recommends.

Years past I would have popped into the LBS to see what they had floating around in a bin somewhere in the back...

But these days not only are all the LBS's closed, or appointment only, or curbside pickup, but thanks to this place I actually care what kind of bolt and screw I'm getting, just on the off chance I can match it to some other shiny part somewhere else!

Thanks for that.

Torontocycles used to be a good one-stop source for all kinds of titanium and aluminum bolts...
Unfortunately they are out of business...
Now I'm down to making extensive lists, then hit ebay for (mostly chinese) titanium bolts. I buy in bulk well knowing that I will need a decent amount of those. M5 and M6 are the most typical sizes found in bike applications.

syncrosfan":2f8e7s25 said:
Torontocycles used to be a good one-stop source for all kinds of titanium and aluminum bolts...
Unfortunately they are out of business...

Are they? That's a shame, that was a useful shop.

Latest posts

Back