Bob Jackson Refurbished: Which Serial/Frame Number Is It?

Mr Weirdo

Retro Guru
Hello.

On the bottom bracket of my old bicycle circa mid 1950ish there are three sets of numbers. In the middle is 231, at the 12 o'clock position is 0470 and at the 9 o'clock position is I think 6645. Now the frame and forks have been refurbished I assume that means they were powder coated white (not the best I have seen) by Bob Jackson's. I know this as there is a small square black sticker at the the bottom of the seat tube saying so.

Question:. Which one is the serial/frame number please?

Thank you 😁

6645 is probably the one.

Mine is 576* (8, 9 or 6, can't really tell) and I believe it's late 60s, which would put you into early 70s I guess?

Thank you for your reply. The problem is the frame lugs are EKLA and the fork crown is double plated and there are grease nipples on the headset and BB lug which I think where used up until the late 50s so I don't think it's an early 70s frame?

This week once I receive my new 32mm spanner through the post I will be removing the forks from the frame and hopefully there will be a number!
I wondered if the 231 was a job number as it had been powder coated by Bob?

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to reply. It could still be 6645...

I only recently got mine, so not a BJ expert.
Mine's a Messina model and I have no extra nipples.

I think I had extra numbers (not very readable) stamped on the BB too. Right now it's loaded for tomorrow's commute, but I can have a wee look when I get back in the evening.

That would be very helpful please. I think it's best to record them as if your sitting on the bicycle. I use like they do on the Classic Lightweights site the 24hr clock. So the drive side (chain wheel & crank) would be 3 o'clock and so on. I hope that makes sense?

I hope your enjoying your bicycle and I have heard of that model.

It may be that even though BJ refurbished the frame and forks at one point it does not mean it was a BJ to start with. That's the feeling I have.

Have a good week!

I took out the forks today. On the rear of the steering tube is L then a big gap and either TT or 11, on the front is 231 but I still think this may be the job number when it was powder coated by BJ but of course I could be wrong? 🤓

I took out the forks today. On the rear of the steering tube is L then a big gap and either TT or 11, on the front is 231 but I still think this may be the job number when it was powder coated by BJ but of course I could be wrong? 🤓
Also if this helps I believe now after taking a look again the serial number at the 3 o'clock position is C645 and not 6645.

Checked my BB and the second number is 327 - no idea what it is.

For some reason there's not that much info about BJs on this forum 🤔

Back