Boardman SLR8.6 women - thoughts after 1000km

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hello everyone,

I thought to put down some thoughts about my most recent purchase, a Boardman SLR8.6. I bought it back in September, and just clocked the first 1000km (1144 as of today).
I chose the women version for two reasons: the colour, the crank length (165mm). I paid £450 for the bike - new, from Halfords (+£25 for the subscription to British Cycling)

The colour is fantastic. The crank length...turned out to be 170mm.
So, from the get go, there was a problem. A problem that both Halfords and Boardman were unwilling/uncapable to solve, until Boardman Customer Service recognized there had been a mistake on their website and paid me £45 to buy a new crankset. Hats off. I liked that gesture, even though I then ended up keeping the money and the 170mm cranks, as they fit me well.

The reasons why I chose this bike in the first place were 1) the price 2) it had mudguards and rear rack mounts 3) it had a simple groupset, Shimano Claris, which is more than enough for my use. Easier to maintain, service, and replace than the higher ends groupsets.

As it was given to me, fully assembled, the bike was a mess. Some bolts were loose, some overly tight. The handlebar was not centered, the handlebar tape is so badly fitted that prevents the shifters' hoods to sit properly, and the gears were not indexed.
I left the handlebar tape as it is, also because it is of such low quality that will need replacing soon enough, index the speeds, and checked all the bolts.
Now it was a nicely rideable and enjoyable bike.

It's not light, by modern standards, but it feels very light to me, coming from a Carbolite Peugeot, and it's very comfortable. I switched the seat with a narrower one (£15), and I added full mudguards and puncture proof tyres (£60).

So, in total, I spent £445 (considering what I gained back selling the original tyres, pedals, and seat) and I have a very capable bike.

Would I recommend this bike? Well...not sure.
Only to users who know their way around a bike and they don't need to rely on paid help to fix the myriad of little things that don't work. And you surely don't want to rely on Halfords....
For the same amount of money I could have bought a much higher end second hand bike, but in the long term it's difficult to say which one would cost more. For commuting, this bike is great.
Let's see what my opinion will be in a year time...

Re:

Thanks for the review.

I'll never buy anything from Halfrauds... Made a mistake of buying a kid's bike once and it was a deathtrap. Complete mess of a bike, including a cracked rim and brake pads set up to rub against a tyre sidewall. Appalling. To add insult to injury they were an absolute pain when I requested a refund. A friend had a similar story. QC is non-existent and the scary thing is that if such a bike goes to somebody who hasn't got a clue about bikes, they will happily let their kid ride it.

Glad you got your cranks sorted lol.

Yes, the level of Halford QC is appalling. And we are talking about 1 bike every 100s...I'm convinced that most of their bikes get out of the shop with something that already needs sorting.
Two of my friends got Boardman bikes. They both had problems since the start, some of which are still unsolved.

I think they can be quite good value for money, but as you say, not if you don't know anything about bikes. Basically, the deal is that you need to know how to fix a bike before buying it from Halfords :D

Having said that, before this bike I had bought a Genesis Equilibrium (ex demo). It was delivered to me with BOTH wheels out of true and a defective cassette. I sent it back for a full refund, so no problem with that, but I couldn't believe that they could sell something so clearly unfit for the road.

Re:

Huh, I thought the problem was with kids' bikes only - I am yet to see a kids' bike that is sold with both wheels that are true, even if they are not from Halfords!

Thanks!

That's how they suck you in. By making great-looking bikes. The good looks make customers momentarily forget the build quality, just for enough time for them to open the wallet :D

Re: Re:

M_Chavez":1wu4rk75 said:
Huh, I thought the problem was with kids' bikes only - I am yet to see a kids' bike that is sold with both wheels that are true, even if they are not from Halfords!
We've had 4 excellent kids bikes, none of them from halfords, all with straight wheels.

I thought to give a quick update on the bike.
After the somewhat disappointing experience, my Boardman (nicknamed Puzza) performed remarkably well.
It now has almost 5000km on the clock and it hasn't fallen apart yet!
Seriously, the speed at which some of the components seemed to wear out at the beginning made me think this bike wouldn't have seen the summer, but I was wrong.

It proved to be a good commuter. A bit uncomfortable - the frame is quite harsh - but that could probably be improved with a better seatpost and saddle.

I just finished building a new wheelset.
I was undecided if to go cheap (Shimano RS100), fancy (Mavic Aksium), or handbuilt, and in the end I chose the latter.
Initially I thought of re-using the rims of the wheels I had built for the Peugeot, and I bought matching 36-holes hubs, but in the end I changed my mind because I didn't like the idea of silver polished rims on this bike.

I chose Sora hubs (super cheap and good quality, I am told), Sapim Race spokes and Mavic Open Elite rims. Had I not thought of reusing my old rims I would have gone for the 32h option instead of 36, but it's OK. I don't think I'll regret the extra sturdiness, nor feel the extra 50g.
The wheelset is quite a beefy one, the rear one weighs in at 1144g, the front 910g.
I have no idea how much the Aksium (210g lighter) would have felt, but I take comfort in the fact that my wheels should be significantly stronger.
Also, yesterday I installed a pannier rack, and I am toying with the idea of swapping the drops for a flat bar, so this is definitely not a bike built for speed ;)
Still faster than my vintage Marin turned commuter!!

Back