Blue Riband Hobbs fixed wheel

Merlin72

Retro Newbie
Hi.

My late father had a C1950's Blue Riband Hobbs fixed wheel racing bike which has now been passed to me. I have no clue of its value and was hoping for a steer from the forum.
My Dad was a keen club racer during the late 1940's and early 1950's and has maintained the bike to an impeccable standard.
I just don't want to spend money getting it valued for the insurance if it's not worth anything.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1546257047482.jpg
    FB_IMG_1546257047482.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 429
Tricky one.... if it was my Dads bike I’d insure the hell out of it as to me it would be priceless.... but re-sale value? It would depend on the condition of the frame, original paintwork, parts etc and of course if you have a bunch of providence listing races/results etc the sky is the limit if you get it in front of a couple of collectors.
The problem with insurance though is they would be looking at a replacement value which can of course fluctuate.
What I have done with my collection is I’ve collated a file of advertised for sale Claud’s in mint/restored condition in a vain attempt to help my case if I ever have to argue the toss with Lloyds!

Merlin72":25pfdrr1 said:
I just don't want to spend money getting it valued for the insurance if it's not worth anything.

I have three Hobbs of Barbican, two in family from new. Sentimental value, in cases like this (e.g owned by a family member from new), will always exceed market/monetary value.

Current images always help, but be wary of uniformed opinions as to the value - for insurance purposes.

Rk.

N.B all of mine have an agreed value with my insurer.

Re: Re:

Merlin72":bkfzx7wb said:
Brill. Thanks for the response.

Post a bunch of photos and you will get more responses :xmas-cool:

Re:

If you get good, well focused and well-lit photos of each of the components we can identify them for you. Of highest value would be for the parts to be period correct. As it is a Blue Riband, if any of the components are Lytaloy there is a strong market, with premium prices. The photo suggests that there are possibles (at the time of the photo).
Where brand names are visible please include.
Then it is getting a guide of current market value.

Please include the start of the frame number as the manufacture year should be identifiable. Look at the left rear dropout.

Plus we like to look at bikes of the period. I have a 1946 Hobbs and a 1952 Blue Riband.

Back