Black spokes dilema

CAPIN

Retro Guru
So from hyperorthodox period correct standpoint, when is appropriate to put black spokes on?
What exact year DT, SAPIM and others started making black versions of their spokes?
thanks
Jan

I wish it was 97. I d like to put them on my 97 High Zoot build..
First Crossmax wheels were introduced in 96. all black. And little after that black spokes started appearing. But so far i cant find solid proof. I just went through several 97 Bike mags and none of the bikes inside had black ones. In december 98 MBA there are black spokes on bikes at the trade show.. And on March 99 MBA, black spokes are on every bike o the cover page.. Hmm, so probably i answered myself :D .. But something like 97-99 DT swiss catalogue would be nice to take a look at to confirm everything.

Re:

Last year The Cambridge Festival of Cycling held a talk entitled 'Did Queen Victoria ride a bicycle ? '
Unfortunately I was unable to attend , so I do not know their conclusions

Over the years there has been much conjecture on this subject , however if she did ride a bicycle , it is almost
certain that whatever the type of bicycle/tricycle etc she rode , it would have had black spokes due to her self imposed
extended period of mourning after the death of Prince Albert

Given her example , you will have to decide for yourself when black spokes are appropriate

Oddly I too have this issue, I picked up an odd rear wheel a few years ago at a flea market for not a lot... grey X517 Mavic rim, black Hope TiGlide hub later type but with the Ti Centre still and... black spokes! I wish to use said wheel in a current '97/'98 build of mine but not sure if the black spokes are period correct. I've a feeling it was around '98/99 when they started to come in...

Back