Black hole Buccaneer

A little further on with this one.

Decals applied and a coat of 2K clear coat over the top so time to let it rest as a chef would say and have a dig to see what I can use to assemble it.

Attachments

• DSCF4371.JPG
    DSCF4371.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 350
I haven't fitted a cottered crank to a bike since I was at school but this one really should have one so I've had a dig in the box of rusty old toot I can't bear to chuck out

The only candidates i have are what would be a nice Gnutti that's just too rusty to use and two sets of Williams twins (one more rusty than the other) although this one will be built as a single front chain ring machine.

Attachments

• DSCF4368.JPG
    DSCF4368.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCF4367.JPG
    DSCF4367.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCF4365.JPG
    DSCF4365.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 347
Chuck the Williams on for now whilst that beautiful Gnutti crankset goes off to the chromers....

Peachy!":leepfeg3 said:
Chuck the Williams on for now whilst that beautiful Gnutti crankset goes off to the chromers....
That's the general idea but the original chain ring for the Gnutti is a little worn so it might have to have one of the lesser chain rings bolted on to it unfortunately unless I can find a replacement.

The sun was out yesterday so I decided I'd do a bit of tinkering.

I had some bits in mind for the Buccaneer but not all of them went well yesterday so here's a couple of pictures of it in a sort of test built up state.

The wheels were meant to be a pair of narrow 27's with 1" tyres but they have QR axles which the CB's forks don't like so for now its on a pair of Raleigh standard issue 27" Weimanns on Atom hubs., I've got to strip the narrow ones down to polish them so I'll put solid axles in them then.
The chainset ideally will end up being the Gnutti one once I can get it re chromed but the Williams will do for now. It also needs a much narrower axle as the chain is pulled too far over in 1st gear
The brakes will end up as GB Coureurs once I can make a pair of springs for one of them, so early Weimanns for now
The handlebar stem will hopefully change to a spearpoint although the one I have on it now is a nice fit for me
I need to find some wing nuts for the wheels, polish everything that's staying on it, a less rusty clamp for the saddle and it needs some bar tape, I'm going modern cork here for comfort on my aging palms I'm afraid.

So progress of sorts

Attachments

• DSCF4399.JPG
    DSCF4399.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCF4401.JPG
    DSCF4401.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 282
Very nice...

Peachy!":ekpejkl5 said:
Very nice...
Thanks you kind sir but I think this one is going to be one I keep coming back to.

What I have learnt is that the lacquer I've used is not only lying about its colour its also not very good in the drying stakes, the clear coat on top is nice and dry but the slightest pressure and the green underneath marks so I won't be using that again.

I remember Dave Russell telling me that lugless Clauds were most likely built by Bill Grey. He also built my lugless Dave Russell.

Latest posts

Back