Bit of info needed on powder coating and possible removal...

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Chaps, sure you can help me. Just picked up a really lovely frame but it's been powder coated (white) and not used since.

There are some 'pin prick' holes in the coating in a couple of places - what causes that? Can I get some enamel and kind of try and drop it into the (tiny) holes? Does powder coat react with other paints or is it fine?

Also, say I wanted to get it properly re-enamelled, can it be shot blasted off quite easily for someone like Argos to respray, or will that cost a fortune?

Ta!

Re:

Pin holes are caused by poor prep and surface contamination

A good strong paintstripper should remove it, but not nitromors probably, as the formulation changed a while ago

G

Re:

I believe with the right preparation you could actually use acrylic base paint over powder coat. For removal I used gasket remover on a crankset, worked very good. Works even better if you lightly sand the coat with 80grid sandpaper before applying.

Well round here the decent powder coater has a stripping tank and prep is included in the price.

Re:

Thanks for the info guys.

Not really wanting to strip the powder coat off myself (it's not actually that bad) but wasn't sure if the likes of Argos, Bob Jackson, etc would charge more because they would have to get rid of it before they could re-enamel the frame properly. Will have another look at their websites, couldn't see anything specific at the time.

I may have a go at the couple of areas of pin holes with some acrylic based paint then, see what I can do....

Re:

Bob Jackson lists full preparation of the frame within the price.

"All the frames are lightly burnt off and then shot blasted to remove all rust , grease and other road debris, leaving the frame clinically clean for the next stage"

Re: Re:

bartsince1975":vfjbpo7q said:
I believe with the right preparation you could actually use acrylic base paint over powder coat.

yup! i've seen that on a few frames with little to no prep & the paints still holding up fine

Re:

Thanks all, when I get five minutes to myself I'll have another proper look at it and see if I can maybe do something with acrylic paint then, sounds like the answer.

Did go through the various re-sprayers websites, knew they bead blasted the frames, but just had a vague recollection of someone like Argos saying it would be extra to remove powder coat first as it was time consuming compared to ordinary enamel. Can't find that info now though, so maybe I imagined it.... I blame my age.... :facepalm: :LOL:

LikeClockwork":26y3mbjs said:
Chaps, sure you can help me. Just picked up a really lovely frame but it's been powder coated (white) and not used since.

There are some 'pin prick' holes in the coating in a couple of places - what causes that? Can I get some enamel and kind of try and drop it into the (tiny) holes? Does powder coat react with other paints or is it fine?

Also, say I wanted to get it properly re-enamelled, can it be shot blasted off quite easily for someone like Argos to respray, or will that cost a fortune?

Ta!
hi we are a powder coating company in sandbach we strip and blast cycle frames on a regular basis and the cost is around £30. blasted and powder coated is around £50 .. hope this helps , cheers, mike

Latest posts

Back