Bit of help needed !

BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

Senior Retro Guru
So I bought a cheap fixie/single speed to just nip out on.
Got a couple of questions while I'm trying to do it up.
It's just a muddyfox that I got for £40 - so nothing amazing.
Think it's a 60cm and I'm 5'7 - so possible a little big
First off is bars are horrible - so would like to change them ! But flats or bullhorn ? And then stem length ?
So changing the bars will make it feel different, but what can I expect it to feel like with flat bars and what will it feel like with bullhorn bars ? And then maybe with a shorter stem ?
What are a good set of cheap tires / price / where from ?
I don't want to put loads of money into it - just want to use it and what configuration I would get the most from.
Cheers B 🍻

Attachments

• 20240402_164418.jpg
    20240402_164418.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 18
40 quid is about right.

Muddy fox on name, these were all made in the same factory in China. Forn40 quid it's fine.

Ditch the wheels, they are crazy heavy.
What will it feel like with flats? No different to with risers.

For me I'd shorten the stem first, then bars second.

Tyres, vittorio can be had cheap on ebay.

It is quite large for your height. For a £40 runabout, you probably want to minimise any additional spend - especially if whatever you do it turns out to feel too large and you want to move it on. I'm 5 11 and I'd think twice about a 60cm frame.

Firstly, what's wrong with the bars? Do you feel too upright? if so consider flipping the stem. Do you feel too low? If so, get a shorter stem. Maybe the bars can be rotated back a tad. Might also consider bringing the saddle forward or getting a non-set back seat post. I would be cannibalising parts off other bikes until I got the fit rightish before I bought some replacements.

How long have you spent riding it? I've ridden all manner of unsuitable bikes, and after an hour or so you can get used to a different fit/position if it's not too extreme.

Back