Bike of the month January 2021 - Nominations

Re:

Hi, here is my 97 Xizang. Not fully old school, but 100% high end selected parts. Thomson titanium bar, Masterpiece seatpost, King/Mavic 819 wheels, XTR drivetrain (with inverted rear mech and carbon-Ti titanium chainrings), Avid black ops v-brakes... Love riding it!

Attachments

• 1648E128-7C28-4068-AD0A-0659F04ECACC.jpeg
    1648E128-7C28-4068-AD0A-0659F04ECACC.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 845
  • 243848BE-C0D3-4F0E-8792-146EF6117B5F.jpeg
    243848BE-C0D3-4F0E-8792-146EF6117B5F.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 845
Re:

So in 1st place there's that Merlin and .... and in 2nd place every other retro mtb in the world. Perfect.

Re: Re:

oldave":3ror249n said:
So in 1st place there's that Merlin and .... and in 2nd place every other retro mtb in the world. Perfect.

Yup :cool:

that Campag saddle.... and the Dura ace rear mech.... and....

Merlin is gorgeous - classy and so unique - Has some competition though! Should be an interesting one

Re:

Jimi, that must be the pride of your collection, its stunning, and others are right about the parts. you could build two of my BOTM entries for what that saddle alone cost. (FACT).

:cool:

Re:

Hard to pick a fav outta the collection. They all have something I really like about them. Prob the same for you ... you’ve got lots of cool bikes ... tough to pick the favourite child lol.

This one was certainly my most enjoyable build. It all came together so easily ... lots of help from friends. It was a nice 2020 distraction.

And believe it or not ... this one was pretty cheap by Vintage mtb standards. Lots of luck and timing in this one ... Even the saddle ;)

(Now if you had to go and pay market value on these bits ... yikes!!)

Re: Re:

jimi911":3irhus7x said:
Hard to pick a fav outta the collection. They all have something I really like about them. Prob the same for you ... you’ve got lots of cool bikes ... tough to pick the favourite child lol.

This one was certainly my most enjoyable build. It all came together so easily ... lots of help from friends. It was a nice 2020 distraction.

And believe it or not ... this one was pretty cheap by Vintage mtb standards. Lots of luck and timing in this one ... Even the saddle ;)

(Now if you had to go and pay market value on these bits ... yikes!!)

Your Not Kidding, that saddle alone here would make 500 to 1000 on its own, that old Bontrager of mine was under 500 finished.
Keith Bontragers choice was "Strong, Light, Cheap....Pick two"...…………..I tried to squeeze all three.... :D

Your Merlin is Like a peep in a Boutique window, Lush, But even in a lockdown its needs some mud on it..., ride it and take some pics. Its perfect for social distancing during a global pandemic.

Back