Bianchi Volpe winter project

tedhodson

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I bought this frame and a bag of parts from my local bike co-op last week. The lot contains the original everything except the seatpost, saddle, and wheels. I've been looking for a Bianchi Project 5 or 7 for a long time and I think I'll like this one even more. I thought it was a touring frame but some research says that it was more of a hybrid with drop bars, I guess the BB drop dimension will shed some light on that. The only slightly disappointing thing is that the fork isn't built with a nice crown. I think it will be perfect for easy rides through the countryside and multi-use trails.

20211128_095359.jpg

A funny feature are two M5 bosses in strange locations, one on the side of the downtube and one on the seat tube above the water bottle bosses. Apparently they are for a shoulder strap! I'll make a new leather strap.

20211128_095420.jpg

bianchi_volpe_carry_strap_9af9a9563307d16f036d619a56e0d1c815c9678a.jpg

Originally painted pinkish orange, I'll try to strip just the blue rattle can paint off and hopefully save the original paint, otherwise a repaint. I had a pink Bianchi road bike a long time ago and may paint this pink if I can't save the original finish.

20211128_095429.jpg

The components are perfect for this project, all in decent shape and my favourite shifters. I'm going to use this Nitto moustache handlebar and a dirt drop stem. Might have to cut a bit off the quill. I'll also build wheels and have to decide on either this B72 saddle or an Avocet touring saddle. Anyway, really looking forward to taking my time, I have all winter to work on it.

20211128_095439.jpg

20211128_095446.jpg

I tried some weak paint remover but it ate into the original paint, so I'll sandblast it and repaint.

20211130_085838.jpg

I also started cleaning up the parts. I rebuilt the pedals and cleaned up the dust caps.

20211206_183002.jpg

20211206_184725.jpg

I love Bianchis. It seems they always took left turns making random styles of bikes not just all road bikes. This is gonna be really cool!

I love Bianchis. It seems they always took left turns making random styles of bikes not just all road bikes. This is gonna be really cool!

Thanks. That's true, they had high end lugged mountain bikes into the 90s, the Project series of hybrids, and the one I wanted most in the mid 90s - a cyclocross frame/fork.

Very cool. I thought Sheldon Brown described the early Volpe's as CX / Touring / Adventure bikes. Although I bought an early 90's hybrid frame and built it up as a drop bar gravel bike similar to a Volpe.

Latest posts

Back