Bianchi Grizzly - serial decoding

hossboss

Dirt Disciple
Hi all. I’ve recently picked up a mid 90s Grizzly, and have been trying to work out the exact build date.

The serial is - LYS6H01423

Does anybody here know how to translate this?

Cheers!

Hi, not sure if there is a lot of expertise on Bianchi serial numbers or if those at all include logic to provide information about the date.
I would rather recommend to use the components if original to provide the year or even date codes to get it down to the month.

The explanation here provides good information
just those codes are often a bit hard to find.

Just show pictures of the bike and components, maybe the crowed here is able to help on basis of this.

Thanks joglo, although unfortunately this frame was built up with the previous owners choice of random parts.

Maybe it's then just my curiosity. If you have a picture at hand, i would be still happy to have a look.

Here 'tis for your perusal.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    596.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    699.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    835.4 KB · Views: 15
Looks nice👍

Don't know the year, but the S-Bend Seatstays, Bianchi called them "Zero Flex Stays" have been introduced 1996, at least in the Germany catalogue as new innovation.
Your frame has also still a Cantilever brake cable hanger at the back, usually those disappeared in 1997 by the introduction of V-brakes.
Therefore i would guess your bike should be roughly 96-97ish.
Still can't fit it in the german buyers guides for those years nor in my german Bianchi catalog 96.
Most likely Bianchi had a different portfolio for other countries or markets.

Color-wise the 1998 looks also a bit like yours:

Last but not least, let's add @kingoffootball he had just this morning identified the year and plant of another Bianchi by the serial number
Maybe he can do magic also at yours.

Last edited:
Looks nice👍

Don't know the year, but the S-Bend Seatstays, Bianchi called them "Zero Flex Stays" have been introduced 1996, at least in the Germany catalogue as new innovation.
Your frame has also still a Cantilever brake cable holder at the back, usually those disappeared in 1997 by the introduction of V-brakes.
Therefore i would guess it's your bike should be roughly 96-97ish.
Still can't fit it in the german buyers guides for those years nor in my german Bianchi catalog 96.
Most likely Bianchi had a different portfolio for other countries or markets.

Color-wise the 1998 looks also a bit like yours:

Last but not least, let's add @kingoffootball he had just this morning identified the year and plant of another Bianchi by the serial number
Maybe he can do magic also at yours.

I was able to identify that one because I recognised the frame number format. If the frame number for this one definitely starts LYS then that's not a factory I am familiar with.

The biggest clues should be it is lugelss but with a canti hanger, which should narrow down the year somewhat. Does it have a 1" or ! 1/8" headtube? My guess would be 1996, with the first number being the last number of the year, but having looked in a 1996 catalogue, most the MTBs didn't seem to have canti hangers.

Hopefully @ibbz can shed some more light on it.

It's had a respray, so that throws things off a tad. The steerer is 1 1/8". I appreciate the insights guys - thank you!

Back