Bianchi 5200 Black Widow winter build

Clannagh

Dirt Disciple
Hi Ive just picked up a Bianchi Black Widow 5200 frame circa 1999-2000 (a bit young to be here I know)
Why did they choose yellow graphics!!
http://classiclightweights.net/wp-conte ... p32-33.jpg
I think these were only made for a year Google search doesn't bring a great deal of info so Im making it up as I go along really.
This one had the usual battle scars and scratches, standard finish was sprayed black with only the centre frame section showing carbon. Bit of a waste really so I decided why not take it back to full naked carbon. Hours and hours of painstaking rubbing with various grades and tools. Its now getting there I will give it a final finish next and seal with UV stable epoxy.
Just acquired a set of Reba World Cup forks and a set of Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheels... six bolt discs will appear on on this baby.
If anyone can shed any light or offer any info on these bikes it will be much appreciated.

Story so far
Stripped the frame of paint, paint stripper applied and 'NOT LEFT ON' do not go off and have a brew whilst this is on! kept moving it about just enough to soften the clear lacquer and majority of paint.
Finished with wet and dry plus a fine abrasive drill attachment.
It now needs 1000grit and polished up to remove scratches. Im either intending to clear coat epoxy resin it or polish finish depending how good it looks.
They must have spent ages moulding these frames there are three different weaves of carbon and a carbon tissue around stem seat post BB and suspension pickup points. Lots of hand lay up, and a touch of filler! Looks quite rough in places but isn't that the beauty of carbon and what its all about. Bet there must have been some heated arguments at the factory, frame designers saying leave it nude show off the craftsmanship and Marketing saying "You can't sell that the public won't get it!" get it painted over hide the lot under black paint, Marketing won I guess.
Also replaced all of the frame suspension bearings with stainless steel (old ones were rusted up)
Still trying to locate some rear frame bushes 10mm ID 12mm OD 7mm wide.
Also looking for some rivet on alloy cable guides, a couple had been squashed in crashes.
Suspension spacers also required. Someone had bolted the rear shock to just one side of the frame mounts without spacers, Im hopping to use my MC3-R with lock but its a tight fit.
I will also polish up the rear alloy.
Still deciding final spec, thinking of going the Titanium route with bars stem and seat post... inspired by Ducati Motorcycles, being Italian and all that! I also love the brushed finish on my Bontrager rims (not shown) so it should all tie together... hopefully.
XT components this time, I want to use it and not worry about replacement cost of XTR. XT M770 I think. Rapid rise rear mech, XT dual shifters.

Thank you there's a lot of work gone into this frame.
I'm thinking of letting it go soon to ebay to make way for other projects. :)

Meanwhile I've been building something else, a one off very modified Trek YSL 200.
Check out the tapered headtube and rear frame :shock: :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,340
Back