Best Era / Best Bike

Because of the innovations, it really has to be 1990-1995. It covered so much ground and evolution from what were basically street bikes with bells and balls (yes, those) on, to genuine mountain bikes that would go almost anywhere. Also would cover the introduction of proper suspension which was pivotal.

Best bike? So many to choose from I think it would be impossible to say. Best frame? Probably the Merlin USA handbuilt Ti frames. They were and remain so iconic that I think you'd find it hard to identify something objectively better. The nice thing about Merlin was they stood alone, over most team rivalries etc. Merlin were a small fish in a big pond, so quality mattered above all and it showed and continues to, decades later. Many have tried to do the same, but all had some kind of caveat.

Mainstream wise, what sticks in my mind from that era would be the Marin Team Ti, Kona Hei Hei, GT Xixang, Merlin Ti, Alpinestars Ti-Mega and maybe one or two others I can't recall just now.

But yes, for me, 1990-1995.
Such a great post. Thank you fella

Just to make a comment on your 'era' of 5 years...

This forum focuses on a pretty easy to pinpoint [development-wise for MTB] 'era' which is anything pre-97.

For me that's a little generous, and my personal cut-off is 1995.

Anyway, let's assume an arbitrary start date of 1980, and an arbitrary end date of 1995 [within the realms of this forum].

That gives us an option of Part 01, Part 02, or Part 03 if we were to go buy your 'era' being 5 years.

Within any one of those Parts were very significant changes - technology, brands, materials, etc - and thousands of bike models.

Some people on here even break down model years into A/B, early / late, etc.

Maybe a better question would be 'best year, best bike - why?' but even then it's a pretty endless instigation really.

In my view only of course.

Just to make a comment on your 'era' of 5 years...

This forum focuses on a pretty easy to pinpoint [development-wise for MTB] 'era' which is anything pre-97.

For me that's a little generous, and my personal cut-off is 1995.

Anyway, let's assume an arbitrary start date of 1980, and an arbitrary end date of 1995 [within the realms of this forum].

That gives us an option of Part 01, Part 02, or Part 03 if we were to go buy your 'era' being 5 years.

Within any one of those Parts were very significant changes - technology, brands, materials, etc - and thousands of bike models.

Some people on here even break down model years into A/B, early / late, etc.

Maybe a better question would be 'best year, best bike - why?' but even then it's a pretty endless instigation really.

In my view only of course.
LOL. That made me chuckle.

You didn’t answer the questions. ??

Best era - 1991/1992. Start of proper suspension, introduction of truly special groupsets like XTR and Campa Record OR, focus on new materials rather than steel, move away from heavy, touring bike parts and wacky crap that was synonymous with the earlier years . It was also the start of proper marketing of MTBs rather than the hippy stoner US history or the twee tweed British thing and it signalled the separation of the various disciplines (DH,XC,uphill etc) with dedicated bikes rather than the old Friday=Uphill, Saturday =Downhill, Sunday = Xc all on the same bike.

Best Bike - more difficult. Best bike from 1991/1992 was Fat Chance Ti. Absolutely stunning bike, so fast, light and expensive. But best bike of all time for me is the Pace RC100 as it was a holistically designed bike rather than a frame with a group bolted on. Parts and frame worked in harmony. It used and introduced many parts long before their time, wide BB, dishless rear end, aheadset (Well before dia-compe), composite forks, and it was British.

40765452874_815f2b718d_k.jpg

35604934672_d8022da07d_k.jpg

Back