Beryl Burton's 1962 Bike Badge

Whilst researching my 82 SBDU Dynaflite frame I found this snippet of information about Beryl's frame built at the same time 👍

TI-Raleigh_p4(Nov'82_Cycling)~2.jpg Screenshot_20240406-130833.png 9.jpg

I wonder if the Raleigh road bike is the one she rode the Grand Prix de Nations TT course on? She amazed the local French officials by being a lot faster than they expected a mere female to go and (I think) weren't really ready for her at the finish line.

BTW, I had one of those Viking red and white track frames in the late 60's. I rode it in TT's and on the track.

I may see Denise in a few weeks and (if I remember!) can ask her about the bike. My opinion is that it may be a Carlton?

Both of the following were Beryl's bikes. The owner told me the stories of both.

View attachment 836755View attachment 836759View attachment 836760

I'd like to find a photo of Beryl on the track with her red Viking at the 1963 World pursuit race. I believe Dave Marsh said it originally had a white head tube. The track Worlds were in Liege (Rocourt) that year. Maybe someone can check that issue of Cycling, or are there other mags that carried that story?

--Joe

I'd like to find a photo of Beryl on the track with her red Viking at the 1963 World pursuit race. I believe Dave Marsh said it originally had a white head tube. The track Worlds were in Liege (Rocourt) that year. Maybe someone can check that issue of Cycling, or are there other mags that carried that story?

--Joe
Mine had a white head tube. I think this was the 'standard' Viking colour scheme at the time. Their Independent category team riders rode red and white bikes.
WestCheshire30May66.A.jpg
West Cheshire TTCA 30 in May '66. Good grief -58 years ago!!

Mine had a white head tube. I think this was the 'standard' Viking colour scheme at the time. Their Independent category team riders rode red and white bikes.
View attachment 836955
West Cheshire TTCA 30 in May '66. Good grief -58 years ago!!

Yes, fantastic shot, Ned. Thanks for sharing. Ya just need about 10 more teeth in that front ring (and slide your right hand up the bars)! ;)

Nervex Pro frilly lugs like on Dave Marsh's example. I'm attaching a shot of Beryl at Herne Hill in June 1964, during the Milk Race stage festivities. Looks like her 1963 Worlds jersey (tall collar, white sleeve finial). She's on a Viking, but with Prugnat 62S lugs (with scroll cuts).

--Joe

Attachments

• PastedGraphic-81.png
    PastedGraphic-81.png
    929.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back