Bearings and grease for STX RC 8 spd rear hub?

Antwack

Retro Guru
Hi All

I want to replace the bearings in my STX RC rear hub (8 spd). Can anyone advise which bearings I need and what's the best grease to use?

Cheers
Ant

Hi All

I want to replace the bearings in my STX RC rear hub (8 spd). Can anyone advise which bearings I need and what's the best grease to use?

Cheers
Ant
Pretty much all Shimano Hubs are 3/16" in the front and 1/4" in the rear (in your case). You'll need 9 per side in the rear, 10 in the front :)

Grease wise there's loads to choose from. I tend to treat mine to Phil Wood stuff as it's pretty good water resistance wise and not too claggy. I've used Finish Line as well in the past and that's been okay. The green Shimano stuff I use more for small threaded parts and that kind of thing. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Grease, molypendium disulifde, the king of all slippy things (excluding vasoline, which is useless on bearings).

Pretty much all Shimano Hubs are 3/16" in the front and 1/4" in the rear (in your case). You'll need 9 per side in the rear, 10 in the front :)

Grease wise there's loads to choose from. I tend to treat mine to Phil Wood stuff as it's pretty good water resistance wise and not too claggy. I've used Finish Line as well in the past and that's been okay. The green Shimano stuff I use more for small threaded parts and that kind of thing. Hope this helps!
That's great, thanks for the information.

Grease....try snake oil from your local traveling medicine man, best of everything and cures all rotational ills.

If you fancy paying £20 an ounce then knock yourself out, otherwise buy a 1/2kg tub of lith-moly for £6 from your local car parts shop and shove it on the bench for the next decade.

What will help your bearings more is not riding through water higher than the location of the bearings, not pressure washing them, don't degrease hubs and assume the seals will keep it out, make sure you have a seal in there somewhere and make sure they actually have grease to start with, oh and not topping up the grease ports with fairy liquid, like one of our customers did!

Last edited:
Back