Batch prepping 5 Cape Wrath frames

Re: Re:

sinnerman":jr9qx897 said:
Im confused.

Why....?

Are you starting a cycle path hire business....?

Because nobody else will..... and...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UImFKFAWFZ8[/youtube]

'We've got lumps of it out the back'

Flat bar Gravel Grinder - thats what Peachy! is onto, he's hit the ground running, run it up the flagpole, saw who saluted it and ran with it so he was ahead of the pack.

legrandefromage":381vbp02 said:
'We've got lumps of it out the back'

Flat bar Gravel Grinder - thats what Peachy! is onto, he's hit the ground running, run it up the flagpole, saw who saluted it and ran with it so he was ahead of the pack.

Yarp...

Re: Re:

sinnerman":3k79f0m5 said:
Im confused.

Why....?

Are you starting a cycle path hire business....?

Ok, so I’ve been thinking about this question, & to be honest I’m not really sure... And I suppose it all depends on what the why is?

Why do up 5 frames at the same time? Well that’s answered at the beginning of the thread, I’m not going to get around to collecting/buying all the parts for these for ages, so rather than have them rot away I thought I’d get them done and tucked safely away for a rainy day and see if there’s a saving to be had (over doing them individually).

But I’m sensing the question might be why Claud Butler’s? Well there’s nothing particularly special about the frame designs I grant you and they didn’t set the racing world alight either, but they aren’t all that bad either, maybe a little over priced for what they were back in the day, and certainly less attractive the further they got into the 90’s as the kit they came with slipped further & further down the pecking order.
I suppose it’s more to do with being a Claud road nut initially (my Grandfather got his first Claud frame in 1936) the family has pretty much had Clauds ever since.
No one else really seemed to be bothered with collating or preserving them so I thought I’d give it a go, now only focusing on Cape Wrath’s & Antaeus’s.

Also, as most have found their way to me for anywhere between £1 & £80, it’s not really broken the bank either...

Anyhoo... progress so far, almost finished the stickers, just waiting on some re-prints from Gil where I’d mucked up the 1990 down tube.

Attachments

• 02409EE0-7A7F-4C60-98F2-53FBF73B1342.jpeg
    02409EE0-7A7F-4C60-98F2-53FBF73B1342.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
mk one":sdxmgwz3 said:
:cool: that's a great shot.

Cheers Mark... Gil’s work certainly helps... really pleased with the chrome/foil stuff we’ve been mucking about with...

The History Man":2tfm0m0o said:
Tell them the (hi)story.

About my GP?

Ok... so, my GrandPa William Hobbs was either a nephew or I think maybe a 2nd cousin to Albert & Joe Hobbs of “Hobbs of Barbican” https://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/c ... -barbican/ & like many of the extended family he worked there as an apprentice. Being family and “learning” a trade he worked for next to nothing and walked the seven miles to the Barbican from Tottenham each day. That was until he was given a nearly brand new Claud Butler frame from his father in law. William built that frame up as a single speed from 2nd hand parts begged and borrowed or repaired and proudly rode that bike to work. That was until he was caught talking to some waiting customers about his Claud by Albert who promptly sacked him! (Ha had a hatred for Claud Butler who was a considered a bit of a show off and also “borrowed” other people’s ideas such as Bi-laminated lugs).
William then joined the army as a mechanic in the Tank Corps but unfortunately sometime in 1938 got killed by a reversing tank!
My Dad never forgave Albert and he declared a Hobbs of Barbican would never be owned by us ever again.. from that day onwards it would always be Clauds

Back