Barry Hoban - Limited Edition???

notsofast

Old School Hero
Hi

I just got hold of a Barry Hoban that was described as a Limited Edition

The frame is labled as 531 and has Campag drop outs and headset

It is fitted with all Campag Grand Sport equipment with the rear derailleur marked as a 79

I was told it is all original apart from the wheels

It has nice geometry and rides well

So...the question I have is does any one here know anything about this particular model of Hoban?

I'd like to get the correct spec wheels for it so any details you might know would be great

Cheers

I believe these were made by Coventry Eagle Cycles in South Wales. Barry Hoban worked for them at the time.

I remember seeing a brochure featuring three bikes, one as described above, one with 4130 tubing and a Shimano groupset and a high tensile lower end bike. The Campag equipped bike was black, the shimano bike was white and the low end one was orange.

On the cover was a doctored photo of Barry Hoban winnning a race with Eagle emblazoned across his jersey directly above the word Mercier. He was riding for Mercier at the time the photo was taken.

Re:

Hi
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

This one is in silver and all components apart from bars stem and saddle are Gran Sport

No mudguard eyelets on the frame and the bb has RGF showing on it

Frame number is 39657

I am having trouble uploading pics

Would be great to know the wheel spec that might have been used

Cheers

Re:

Hi
Thanks for your reply

I have been searching the interweb for info on it but no real details on this so your info is very useful

Decals for the frame are available but not decided yet whether to repaint or not

Thanks again!!

Youre welcome. Try not to repaint if at all possible. Its only original once. Loads of advise on here and the web in general on preserving the original finish. Try and post some pictures if you can.

Re:

Hi

Yeah I like the originality of the frame..it has lived a life as they say

I am in contact with the previous owner and the bike was bought new by his uncle

Hoping to get some details from him on the original wheelset plus maybe a picture

Looks like I need to resize the ones I have taken before I can upload here

Cheers

Attachments

• 20200610_224229.jpg
    20200610_224229.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 194
Nice, portacatena dropouts, nutted brakes, top tube guides and the Gran Sport ensemble Mark it out as 1978 ish and a bit. A few manufacturers took the refreshed Gran Sport group and launched bikes around it. Notably the Viking Severn Valley for one.

Thanks for the details!
I am pretty pleased with it and it will sit nicely with my growing Emperor collection :)

Back